This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergen Free/gluten Free Lemon Tart

RissaRoo

RissaRoo Enthusiast

Allergen Free Lemon Tart

I made these tarts for a birthday party for me and my sister-in-law, and they turned out great! No gluten, soy, egg, dairy or nuts. Lots of fresh fruit and tart-sweet lemon makes it a great summer treat. I served it with fresh whipped cream, for those who could have it. I made this up entirely from scratch, so it may need a little more or a little less flour...add it a bit at a time until it's the consistency of cookie dough. The shell is slightly chewy and a cross between a cookie and a pie crust.

Ingredients:

1 cup non-soy, non-dairy margarine

2 cups fructose or sugar

1 cup rice flour

1 cup tapioca flour

1 tsp. xanthan gum

2 tbsp. lemon zest

2 tsp. lemon extract

2 tsp. poppy seeds

Cream sugar and butter. Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time until your dough is a cookie dough consistency. Add lemon zest, extract, and poppy seeds and blend well. Spread into 2 tart pans, pressing into the pans so that there is a raised rim around the tarts, and cook at 350 for 20 minutes or until set and slightly brown around the edges. Take out of oven, let cool.

Topping:

1 can lemon filling or one jar lemon curd (check for allergens)

Fresh fruit: I used strawberries, gold kiwi, kiwi, mango, blueberries and kumquats.

Whipped cream (optional)

Put it Together:

Once the tart is cool, spread the lemon curd or topping over each shell. Arrange the fruit in a pattern around each tart. I started about an inch in from the edge of the tarts with mango slices, and then arranged the rest in concentric rows. Thinly sliced kumquats really added to this recipe...they are sweet/sour and complement the lemon flavor.

Posted by RissaRoo at 10:11 PM 0 comments

Labels: gluten free/allergy free food

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ridgewalker Contributor

OH MY GOSH!!! I just went to your blog to see the pics... Can I just say YUM?! I'm drooling over the pictures!!! Makes me want to immediately run out and buy a tart pan so I can try this!

I also saw the pic of the boy (your son, I assume?) with the Coke can... gave me an out-loud guffaw. :P I needed that tonight.

purple Community Regular

We had lemon bars at church the other day. They were so good. I have never made them before. Thanks for the gluten-free recipe they sound so yummy!

RissaRoo Enthusiast
OH MY GOSH!!! I just went to your blog to see the pics... Can I just say YUM?! I'm drooling over the pictures!!! Makes me want to immediately run out and buy a tart pan so I can try this!

I also saw the pic of the boy (your son, I assume?) with the Coke can... gave me an out-loud guffaw. :P I needed that tonight.

LOL thanks! Hey, you could make the tart in a pie pan if you wanted to, I don't think there would be any difference. Or better yet if you have a spring form pan (like for a cheese cake) you could bake the shell in that, and then take it out and decorate it.

Yeah, that's my boy....he looks like such a wild man in that photo! Coke is terrible for acid reflux and I am certain that he suffered for it later on, but as you can see he enjoyed it while it lasted!

sickchick Community Regular

Oh my god my mouth is watering B)

• 7 months later...
njbeachbum Explorer

ok so i made Lemon Bars the other day using a recipe from "Barefoot Contessa" on the food network, but adapting it to be gluten free. For each cup of flour in the recipe, i substituted a gluten free mix (1.5c brown rice flour, 1.5c potato starch, 1c tapioca flour). The only thing I would have done differently is to add 1 tsp of xanthan gum to the lemon filling as it was not as firm as i would have liked it to be. with that being said, these things were DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

here's the recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

try it out... soooooo good :-)

Archived