This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breakfast Sausages?

Donna F

Donna F Enthusiast

Does anyone know of a gluten-free breakfast sausage?

Thanks~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Johnsonville makes one, but I'm at work and don't have the details handy.

Donna F Enthusiast
Johnsonville makes one, but I'm at work and don't have the details handy.

Hmm... I've never heard of that. Is it frozen, refrigerated or on the shelf (like the microwave bacon)?

Thanks~

elonwy Enthusiast

AppleGate Farms has gluten-free breakfast sausages. I have only seen them at some Whole Foods.

cymrudenver Apprentice

I think these are really good, plus they are GFCFDF

Open Original Shared Link

Donna F Enthusiast

Ok, well I'll have to make my way to Whole Foods at some point. I was hoping something mainstream was out there, but after looking at labels I was fairly certain there wasn't anything.

Thanks~

missy'smom Collaborator

We use Whole Foods 365 links or Welshire Farms Patties. The ones that WF makes and sells in their case are often gluten-free. I also make my own with this recipe. Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Donna F Enthusiast
We use Whole Foods 365 links or Welshire Farms Patties. The ones that WF makes and sells in their case are often gluten-free. I also make my own with this recipe. Open Original Shared Link

Ah, and I imagine the 365 ones are probably a little less expensive (?) I'll have to stock up once a month. WF is quite a ways from here.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

We buy the Jimmy Dean turkey ones from Cosco, they're actually really good. See this and pick Jimmy Dean:

Donna F Enthusiast
We buy the Jimmy Dean turkey ones from Cosco, they're actually really good. See this and pick Jimmy Dean:

Ok, I think I can find these at my grocery store. Thanks!
GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

www.johnsonville.com

I have not tried Johnsonville yet but have looked at their website the other week. They label their products gluten free if they are and you can also check them out on their website before heading to the store.

I have seen these at Smith's (same as Ralph's and Kroger) and also WalMart.

GOOD LUCK :)

Donna F Enthusiast
www.johnsonville.com

I have not tried Johnsonville yet but have looked at their website the other week. They label their products gluten free if they are and you can also check them out on their website before heading to the store.

I have seen these at Smith's (same as Ralph's and Kroger) and also WalMart.

GOOD LUCK :)

Awesome, thanks! I go to Walmart almost every week, so that'll work nicely too.

ShayFL Enthusiast

We love Applegate and can get them at Sweetbay as well as WF.

brendygirl Community Regular

Jennie-o! I love their turkey sausages. So do gluten-eating folks. Their packages have a gluten free symbol on them, even. The website homepage shows the gluten free symbol at the bottom. I just ate them yesterday!

VioletBlue Contributor

Farmer Johns skinless links and patties are gluten free and nitrite free as well.

dadsspecialt Newbie

Try Jones Sausage (www.jonessausage.com)! Pretty much all their sausages are gluten-free - just not the maple flavored ones.

Happy eating!

Tam

lovegrov Collaborator

Really, virtually all breakfast sausages are gluten-free. I grew up thinking manufacturers always put bread filler is sausage, hot dogs, hamburger patties, etc. Turns out it isn't true.

richard

babysteps Contributor
Really, virtually all breakfast sausages are gluten-free. I grew up thinking manufacturers always put bread filler is sausage, hot dogs, hamburger patties, etc. Turns out it isn't true.

richard

You are right, definitely not always! But not never, either. For me, often enough to check labels or inquire at restaurants. Just Monday we had a lovely meal, restaurant had house-made charcuterie (meaning variety of fancy/expensive sausage) plate, it was *not* gluten-free. Another restaurant no more than 10 miles away has a plate that usually zero to one of the sausage items has gluten, and they can substitute.

Another case of,

"whatever the question, the answer is 'it depends'"

• 1 year later...
Robnleigh Newbie

Just in case anyone is reading this thread in 2009 - I just got off of the phone with Jimmy Dean and the Pre-cooked Turkey sausage links that you can buy at Costco are not considered gluten free. They have caramel coloring and the person I spoke with said on this particular product they cannot find the source of the coloring so it could be barley. I ate these for a while and didn't feel great so I gave them a call. They also said that Sara Lee and Jimmy Deam will never hide gluten in "spices" or "flavors", for what it is worth. Jones sausage has a new "All Natural" sausage that even says Gluten Free on the box. No nitrates and it is about half the price of the Applegate Farms (which I love).

Good luck! :ph34r:

Archived