Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beth in NC

Grilling

I'm still switching things over in my kitchen as I was just diagnosed on Monday. I assume, because I haven't read elsewhere, that when something like a utensil is used in a gluten containing food that just washing it makes it ok for gluten-free use later? Is there a standard rule of thumb for this?

What a bout a grill that has been used to grill marinated meats pre diagnosis? What do I need to do to the grilling surface? Remove the grids and wash it? Bring to a high temp and just scrape off any remaining stickies?

Thanks...these two questions have been bugging me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

High temperature alone will not do anything to remove gluten. Thorough washing is required.

If you have a gas grill, then washing the grids should be enough. If you use charcoal, be aware that most briquettes are bound together with wheat flour, and gluten is released in the smoke. You must use pure charcoal, which is in the form of irregularly shaped lumps, and not briquettes.

Porous items, like wooden spoons and mesh colanders, and anything with a scratched surface, can retain gluten even after multiple washings. Such items should be replaced.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I'm one of those guys who always opts for "more power." I was concerned about the stuff (barbeque sauce, marinade, etc.) that was burned into the surface and wouldn't come off with just plain washing, so I cleaned the cast iron grates first with a wire wheel attachment on my electric drill. Then I cleaned it again with brillo and finally with dish soap. For the last step, I turned the grill on high and burned off anything that may have survived. It may have been overkill, but I never got sick again after using the grill. Good luck.

Joe B, Connecticut

Diagnosed April, 2005