Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Leidenschaft

Interesting Observation

Guest Leidenschaft

A pleasant observation I've noticed recently... before going gluten-free 13 months ago, I would be crippled (felt like!) at least once a week with an incredibly painful Charlie Horse in my right butt muscle! :blink: The ache would last for a few days, but more alarming and annoying was the stabbing pain that would almost take me off my feet! Since my job is quite physical, it was a big pain in my backside! Literally and figuratively! :lol: Funny how it was always the right cheek! :o

Since being gluten-free, I can only remember one Charlie Horse!!! I'm not even sure if it was related to a contamination, although I think not because I've been contaminated many times without any butt pains! ;) Well not the muscle kind anyway... :unsure:

Does anyone else have an affliction that may not be consistent with celiac disease symptoms (if there are such things??) that has disappeared since being gluten-free?

I'm still not 100%, but I'm 100% happy that I don't have THAT annoying pain anymore! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have heard the charlie horses are a sign of not enough calcium. I'm not sure if that is true but I have heard that alot. Maybe before diagnosis you weren't absorbing enough of what you needed and now being gluten-free you are. Just a thought :D

Guest Leidenschaft

That's quite interesting! I had heard of that and was taking Calcium supplements without any results before going gluten-free. I would guess that since going gluten-free I'm able to utilize the calcium better!

That's a GOOD thing! :D

The charlie horses could be the result of not absorbing calcium or not absorbing magnesium. I have to take supplements of both to keep them under control. My midnight dances around the room have almost gone away.

Yeah I was lacking certain things when I was on supplements before I went gluten-free. I just wasn't absorbing them. After going gluten-free I am absorbing them now. That's probably what happened with you. At least they are better now :D

Potassium is also a factor with Charlie Horses in muscles. When my husband was having them frequently his doctor told him to try eating a couple of bananas each day to help with them. It worked!

Guest Viola

I knew about the calcium, but never heard that potassium could also cause them. I'll have to let my husband know about that. We are always learning something new in this forum :D