Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sixdogssixcats

Which Flours To Buy In Bulk To Start?

All these little sacks of flour I'm buying are about to break the bank. My grocery store sells them for less than I

can find them online, even without shipping, and I'm going through them at record pace. I need to buy in bulk. I found Bob's Red Mill sells several flours in 25-lb bags. Given limited storage space, what should I buy to start stocking my pantry? Say if I wanted to buy only 3-4 25-lb bags of flours, which should I buy to get the most use and versatility out of?

Lesley

Mom of Catherine - 01/18/05 (Celiac, Reflux, Psoriasis)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I buy domata flour. You can get it in bulk online. I put it in a 5 gallon bucket. It has everything all ready in it like the xanthan gum and such. I can't get bulk right now, so I buy 2 5 lb bags and with shipping it's $32. It lasts me quite a while and I make everything from scratch. Hope that helps.

Stephanie

homeschooling mom to 12 yr old son

helpmeet to wonderful husband of 13 yrs

dx Myasthenia Gravis 1998

Official Celiac dx 6/2008

Gluten Free since 6/5/07 (with the exception of 6 weeks and any cc)

Positive Enterolab Result 8/23/07

Positive bloodwork 6/2/08 after eating gluten for 6 weeks

All these little sacks of flour I'm buying are about to break the bank. My grocery store sells them for less than I

can find them online, even without shipping, and I'm going through them at record pace. I need to buy in bulk. I found Bob's Red Mill sells several flours in 25-lb bags. Given limited storage space, what should I buy to start stocking my pantry? Say if I wanted to buy only 3-4 25-lb bags of flours, which should I buy to get the most use and versatility out of?

If you plan to continue baking as you are baking now, look at which kinds of flour you are using the most of now, and buy that in bulk first. Work on down from there.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

You could try buying the raw ingredients in bulk and making your own mixes as you need. This will allow for a little flexibility because a cake recipe might be different than a bread recipe and I think it's a lot harder to use the same gluten-free mix for everything. I probably have 10 different gluten-free flours and starches in my pantry. Betty Hagman has several flour mix recipes in her books as does Carol Fenster.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years