This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Airport Security

munchkinette

munchkinette Collaborator

I was wondering when I'd get stopped. It happened today in Indianapolis. Airport security went through my bags. The guy had to check the water content on a can of tuna in my suitcase. Apparently that counts as a liquid. (Ridiculous!) The squeeze packs of peanut butter were passable. He was nice, but I had to be really apologetic. I mean, it's kind of weird to bring all that food in a suitcase, right? I told him I had food issues.

Anyone else have any airport security stories or tips?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

They took your tuna? Do you open that on the plane? I would think it would be stinky. I carry my Triumph cards with me when I travel. I got a question about my food once (I had a loaf of bread and a box of cereal in my suitcase, among others), handed her the card, and watched her eyes glaze over. They are official looking and explain it rather nicely.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I have yet to be stopped. I carry a letter from my doctor just in case. I don't carry any food with water. The only questionable items might be my PBJ sandwich (on gluten free bread of course), a banana and cheese. I also only bring along what I need for the flight.

missy'smom Collaborator

I was stopped both ways and thoroughly searched on an international flight. On way, the woman insisted on swabbing down everything and placing them in the machine that checks for explosives I think(looked like a microwave). She took her sweet time and when I said I had food allergies, she proceeded to tell me all about allergies. I'm quite sure she didn't have them or know anyone who did, but she's the one to ask if you want to know anything! :rolleyes: I got to keep all my stuff both ways though. I found some tinned smoked tuna fillets in a little oil in the gourmet section. elonwy is right. I was glad that I waited to open them in the airport instead of on the plane.

No, they didn't take the can of tuna, but he had to show it to his supervisor first. :)

Funny, I didn't get stopped at all with three cans at San Francisco. I did pack my American Triumph card just in case though.

And wow, I don't know how you Midwesterners do it. I had so much more trouble finding food I could eat in restaurants than I do in California.

rpf1007 Rookie

I recently went on an overseas flight and had a couple of stops so I brought a bunch of food bcause I was paranoid. Most of it was just snacks...but I did bring a tuperware of frozen pasta with tomato sauce that I was worried about- but nobody even asked about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Mitsy Newbie

I'm taking an international flight from the US to Shanghai, China (with two layovers in Canada). Other than the "no liquids" thing, is there any other specific food items that I cannot bring? Like Fruit? I think I'll be sticking to mostly prepackaged food. And I am referring to carry-on by the way (We will be traveling for two days).

I'll remember to print out some extra card in French and English (Canada) and Chinese (Shanghai) for the inspectors, I hadn't thought about that.

Any other pointers?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I'm taking an international flight from the US to Shanghai, China (with two layovers in Canada). Other than the "no liquids" thing, is there any other specific food items that I cannot bring? Like Fruit? I think I'll be sticking to mostly prepackaged food. And I am referring to carry-on by the way (We will be traveling for two days).

I'll remember to print out some extra card in French and English (Canada) and Chinese (Shanghai) for the inspectors, I hadn't thought about that.

Any other pointers?

I wouldn't bother with more than one day's worth of fruit. It may get confiscated and it doesn't travel well.

RiceGuy Collaborator

You mean they don't let anyone take liquids on an airplane? What on Earth for? Is that like a security thing? Do they count frozen things like ice cubes and Popsicles too?

Next thing you know, they'll be requiring everyone to submit to a blood test before they can board the stupid plane. After all, some terrorist might sacrifice himself by replacing half his blood with nitroglycerin. Then snap his fingers during the flight, setting himself off.

kbtoyssni Contributor
You mean they don't let anyone take liquids on an airplane? What on Earth for? Is that like a security thing? Do they count frozen things like ice cubes and Popsicles too?

There was a guy a few years ago who tried to make a bomb using a liquid that he had with him - hence the no liquids over 3oz rule. You cannot take them through security, but you can buy a water bottle or juice once you're past security and take it on the plane. I usually bring an empty water bottle and fill it on the other side, although it does occasionally get taken away (mostly in the UK where the rule is no liquids or containers that hold more than 3oz).

You can bring fruit onto a plane, but you cannot bring it into a different country. So only bring what you can eat before landing!

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Any other pointers?

China won't let you take any organic matter into their country. There are amnesty boxes in the airport before you clear customs so you can dump any excess food. When in Shanghai try the City Market for gluten-free food and fresh vegetables. Also the Hilton makes gluten-free bread.

Lukalovescats Rookie

We got stopped last night coming back from Florida in Tampa. Had a lunch bag with 3 ice packs, applesauce, carrots, and mixed fruit cups. Security took 2 of the ice packs because the stuff in them is toxic? I guess he didn't see the 3rd one. We didn't get stopped on the way down with them though. Kinda funny how things are different from airport to airport. You'd think flying out of Dulles things would be way more secure than other places, but I swear they are the most laxed. I did have a note from my doctor for the food though, but didn't need it. I also took cereal bars and brought a loaf of bread and muffins on the way to Florida to eat during the week.

home-based-mom Contributor
We got stopped last night coming back from Florida in Tampa. Had a lunch bag with 3 ice packs, applesauce, carrots, and mixed fruit cups. Security took 2 of the ice packs because the stuff in them is toxic? I guess he didn't see the 3rd one.

The gel is not toxic but some rather powerful explosives have components in gel format. So gels are major no-nos on flights.

As annoying as it is to have them take your perfectly innocent stuff, it is also scary to realize how easy it would have been to bring an explosive gel on board the plane.

That TSA employee didn't do much to make me feel safe and secure! :o

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I was trying to bring yogurt through security at the Phoenix airport. They confiscated it saying it was a liquid.

CaraLouise Explorer

I just got back from a flight and I took ice cubes around my cottage cheese and had no problem in security. I have also traveled with those gel packs, but it varies from airport to airport. I think it may have to do with the xray machines that they use. It seems to me that the more high tech the equipment, the less picky they are about liquids and gels. You are just kind of at the mercy of the security guards. (I do always carry a doctor's note if I get stopped though)

nikky Contributor

Next thing you know, they'll be requiring everyone to submit to a blood test before they can board the stupid plane. After all, some terrorist might sacrifice himself by replacing half his blood with nitroglycerin. Then snap his fingers during the flight, setting himself off.

There was a bomb scare in London last year, the airport police got a tip off that 3 flights were going to be bombed using liquid bombs, its only in the last few months that restrictions have gone back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...
venicebarb Newbie
No, they didn't take the can of tuna, but he had to show it to his supervisor first. :)

Funny, I didn't get stopped at all with three cans at San Francisco. I did pack my American Triumph card just in case though.

And wow, I don't know how you Midwesterners do it. I had so much more trouble finding food I could eat in restaurants than I do in California.

This is my first visit to this site. Am flying to Spain in 3 weeks and am looking for info on what can be packed and what can be carried. Please respond and let me know what an American Triumph card is.

Thanks,

venicebarb

psawyer Proficient

Triumph Open Original Shared Link produce information cards in several languages that explain celiac disease and the diet restrictions. They are intended to be given to the staff at the restaurant to help them understand your needs and prepare a safe meal.

amberleigh Contributor

Actually, you *can* take liquids/yogurt/whatever on a plane, you just need to purchase it after you get through security.

But thanks for posting this...I just remembered I should call my GI's nurse tomorrow to get a "doctor's note" for our trip to Disney World. We never get stopped when they search our bags at Six Flags or baseball games, etc...b/c we have 3 children under the age of 3 with us, so they probably assume everything is for them (which most of it is, but I usually take along some salad dressing or a cereal bar just in case). And I know Disney is awesome about food allergies, so I highly doubt they'd confiscate anything from us, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!!

We've flown 3 times since I was dx'd last year and I've never had issue at the airports. But, I've never tried to take anything through, except stuff for the kids.

I will say though that the TSA missed a bottle of Clorox Anywhere spray that I keep in my diaper bag. It was about 4 or 5 ounces, so bigger than the allowed 3 oz rule, and I totally forgot about it. Whoops. But they missed it too! Makes ya feel safe, doesn't it?!?! :o

Helena Contributor

I've avoided plane travel for various reasons.....but plane travel is no longer going to be avoidable for me! I bring all my food with me (multiple food allergies + celiac) so liquid restrictions are something I've thought about.

You can bring a limited amount of liquid on board--but it has to be in a plastic ziploc bag ready for inspection

Ice and gel packs probably aren't a good idea---I need to keep my food refrigerated, and so I plan to take a cooler bag for my carry on and to use dry ice (if I can find any...don't know where to get it) or frozen oranges/ frozen bags of cranberries in place of ice/gel packs.

I'm definitely going to bring a doctor's note....

purple Community Regular
I've avoided plane travel for various reasons.....but plane travel is no longer going to be avoidable for me! I bring all my food with me (multiple food allergies + celiac) so liquid restrictions are something I've thought about.

You can bring a limited amount of liquid on board--but it has to be in a plastic ziploc bag ready for inspection

Ice and gel packs probably aren't a good idea---I need to keep my food refrigerated, and so I plan to take a cooler bag for my carry on and to use dry ice (if I can find any...don't know where to get it) or frozen oranges/ frozen bags of cranberries in place of ice/gel packs.

I'm definitely going to bring a doctor's note....

I bought dry ice at Albertson's years ago...strangest stuff :rolleyes:

mftnchn Explorer

This is a very difficult issue. What I do is pack the ice and food that needs to be cold in the checked bag. My food goes in frozen but usually isn't to liquidy in case the checked bag gets messed up. I pack carefully.

I haven't so far tried to use a doctor's note to carry on. I've been afraid some would say ok and others would not. You can check with the airline, but then you also have every airport/countries security people who may have no clue what celiac is.

I take non liquids with me on the plane but it can be pretty limited. Also they'll take any meat you have leftover when you go through customs, even cooked meat.

I carry nuts. This time I carried nut flour muffins. (I"m now on SCD). Previously I would carry gluten-free bread that was buttered and a tad of mayonnaise then put together. The sandwich fixings in another container or a divided compartment of the container, then I would put this together on the plane. That was really good.

I bought a thermal lunch bag (lunch for 2 size) at REI this summer. If I freeze it ahead of time it works even better, then put in the frozen food and if checked, I put in blue ice bags. It stayed cool on my international flight at the end of August without frozen food--just meds that needed to be kept cool.

Helena Contributor

purple, what kind of store is Albertson's?

mtnchn-- I'm not sure what blue ice bags are

Hummingbird4 Explorer

I also got stopped because I had little tuna cans in my bag. They let me keep them, but they took my yogurt (since when is yogurt a liquid? :rolleyes: ).

• 2 weeks later...
Char Apprentice
This is my first visit to this site. Am flying to Spain in 3 weeks and am looking for info on what can be packed and what can be carried. Please respond and let me know what an American Triumph card is.

Thanks,

venicebarb

Hi venicebarb,

Just in case no one else has posted it yet: Open Original Shared Link

Archived