Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beth in NC

Insurance Won't Cover Dietician

Just how important is it that I see a dietician? I would LIKE too, especially since the one who has been recommended will even go with you to the store! I haven't called and tried to say anything yet, to the insurance company...waiting to see if my son's test comes back positive or not. It just seems so stupid not to cover something when it is the DIET that keeps you out of the doctor's office anyway in this case. (is there a head bangin' emoticon?)

Any suggestions or tips on this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Unless this one is specifically knowledgeable about Celiac, and I mean really up on the latest info, I wouldn't bother fretting about it. I had a very disappointing experience with the one I was sent to, who was supposed the one in the group who knew the most about gluten free. She didn't give me wrong info, but mostly printed things off web sites and talked about serving sizes. If you're going to have to pay out of pocket, I really wouldn't spend the time. Its very possible she's the bees knees and all that, but you're probably better off trying to find a support group in your area, maybe even a R.O.C.K group. It can be really overwhelming at first, so remember to breathe. It gets easier.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I have found that local health food stores and even some Whole Foods have nutritionists/dietiticans who work for the store. Here we have New Season's Market and you can make appt's with them and they will take you around the store themselves. They seem to be very knowledgable on Celiac Disease and some even have classes you can take with a tour of the store. You could always look into something like that, and they're free ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Ditto Elonwy. I had a similar experience with another dietician dealing with another digestive condition. She printed some stuff off the internet (stuff I could have easily gotten myself) and talked about portions. Even she admitted that unless it was diabetes related, most dieticians aren't that educated about how foods affect medical conditions.

We went to a Nutritionist and had to get "special permission" from the insurance company because, yes insurance companies only think that diabetes and obesity are the only reasons a person would want to see a dietian or nutritionist. Well it was a waste of everyone's time and money. She knew only a smidgen about Gluten free. I found more help on this board and other websites.

One thing's for certain: take out a subscription to at least one guten free publication - whether it's the Scott Free Newsletter or magazine Living Without or from the celiac sprue organizations ... you have to remain connected with some formal and knowledgeable source.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003