Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ashley

Gluten-free Poptarts Substitute?

Has anyone found a decent substitute for poptarts? I've looked everywhere but yet to find any gluten-free version. :(

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Luckily, homemade poptarts are incredibly easy. Take your favourite pie-dough, put homemade fresh fruit in the middle, poke a little and bake. Much tastier, healthier, and very easy!

Gluten-free, Vegan

When I make pancakes, I mix up a whole bag of gluten-free pancake batter and make all of them at one time. I freeze them, a couple at a time, in a zip lock bag. You could make mock poptarts by popping a baggie in the microwave to heat and then adding some jam or applesauce and cinnamon in between the pancakes.

Cindy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005

Diabetic

:huh: I was just asking around the other day. I crave them in the middle of the nite. And no I havent found any yet. But I will post when I do.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

:( No disrespect but I've been feeling pretty lazy to make pop tarts. I did print the recipe out in case my husband would like to make them for me. :rolleyes: Thanks

I've had no luck making gluten-free pie dough. Perhaps it is our other allergies. I think I used Spectrum shortening instead of butter or margarine. But now that I think of it...I couldn't make regular pie dough for beans. I resorted to buying pre-made stuff. I'm normally a good baker but I can't do pie dough.

Too bad someone hasn't come out with a frozen or shelf stable gluten-free toaster pastry. I bought some Amy's Orangics that I can eat and daughter keeps begging me not to make them because they smell so good.

I've had no luck making gluten-free pie dough. Perhaps it is our other allergies. I think I used Spectrum shortening instead of butter or margarine. But now that I think of it...I couldn't make regular pie dough for beans. I resorted to buying pre-made stuff. I'm normally a good baker but I can't do pie dough.

Me too! I totally gave up ... i only tried three times, but i'd read something on line about how many times she'd scraped a perfectly good pie filling off an inedible pie crust. I did read that you can just make a crumb crust instead, which i didnt get around to trying. but i was tempted to try using my sugar cookie recipe (but of course, I make it for the kids, first i'd have to get it to work without eggs or tapioca flour lol)

I tried doing the turkey pot pie with just a bisquit-type topping . . and we all got mysteriously ill. HOwever, i did have great success w peach cobbler (no eggs, dairy, gluten, tapioca, or rice . .. lol) - the family eats them as fast as I can make them.

Fortuneatly, i dont miss poptarts. I mostly just miss cheese . . . omg, i almost cried in the store today, looking at all the gourmet cheeses . . .and i feel so guilty because i dont buy them for my family any more, either - becuase if i dont work them in to a meal, no one eats them and they just go moldy in the fridge . .and i have to cry again

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Me too! I totally gave up ... i only tried three times, but i'd read something on line about how many times she'd scraped a perfectly good pie filling off an inedible pie crust. I did read that you can just make a crumb crust instead, which i didnt get around to trying. but i was tempted to try using my sugar cookie recipe (but of course, I make it for the kids, first i'd have to get it to work without eggs or tapioca flour lol)

I tried doing the turkey pot pie with just a bisquit-type topping . . and we all got mysteriously ill. HOwever, i did have great success w peach cobbler (no eggs, dairy, gluten, tapioca, or rice . .. lol) - the family eats them as fast as I can make them.

Fortuneatly, i dont miss poptarts. I mostly just miss cheese . . . omg, i almost cried in the store today, looking at all the gourmet cheeses . . .and i feel so guilty because i dont buy them for my family any more, either - becuase if i dont work them in to a meal, no one eats them and they just go moldy in the fridge . .and i have to cry again

I can not get a good bisuit recipe but I think it's because of my other allergies. I did find a good dumpling recipe but it doesn't make enough dumplings to suit us.

We eat this faux cheese. It's pretty good.

http://www.allergyfreefoods.com/index.html

Gravy is good too. Haven't tried the other stuff.

I can not get a good bisuit recipe but I think it's because of my other allergies. I did find a good dumpling recipe but it doesn't make enough dumplings to suit us.

We eat this faux cheese. It's pretty good.

http://www.allergyfreefoods.com/index.html

Gravy is good too. Haven't tried the other stuff.

Is this brand of cheese honestly good? We have tried others and they sure aren't. I would be delighted to find a cheese I could buy. It's what I miss the most. Do you know if it's also corn free? Thanks!

Is this brand of cheese honestly good? We have tried others and they sure aren't. I would be delighted to find a cheese I could buy. It's what I miss the most. Do you know if it's also corn free? Thanks!

So far I have tried the Parmesan (can't tell it from the real thing...even smells like it), Pizza blend (excellent on pizza), cheddar (tasted fine but arrived melted). Got the Mozarella today as well as the others. Also tried the American. It was good but IMO no better than the rice cheese we already buy. And I don't have to pay postage for that.

I would highly recommend this stuff. Tonight, daughter and I got salads from the salad bar at a grocery store and topped them with some Parmesan. Yum!

Sorry, I don't know if it is corn free or not. We don't have to worry about corn.

Thanks everyone---I've got a lot baking to do :D

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso