Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

docb

Glutino Pretzels

My wife has celiac Ds and recently bought Glutino's pretzels. She got bloated and stomach pains within hours. I know this product boasts gluten-free. Any else encounter this reaction?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Is she new to the gluten-free diet? If so, it is best to WAIT a good 3 months for her villi to heal before eating processed gluten-free foods. Glutino's are made in a dedicated facility. They are serious about their gluten-free status.

Or it is possible that she is sensitive to something else in them.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

She must be reacting to something else. I know quite a Handful of people who eat these pretzels and do not get ill.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I was going to suggest it may be the soy flour, too.

Ener-g makes a pretzel that doesn't use soy--

http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?se...t=6&id=1018

They are excellent. :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I eat this brand of pretzels off and on. When I don't feel well I eat them like they were saltine crackers. Haven't had any problems. Hope you can figure it out....good luck

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Glutino are fastidious about making sure that all of their products are gluten free. The production facilities are dedicated to making only gluten-free products. I have met the owner, and he is really committed to serving those needing a completely gluten-free diet. If you want Steven's contact info, send me a PM and I will share it.

As mentioned, it could be the soy that is causing the reaction.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I am going to agree with the others who mentioned the soy. It is not unusual for us to have a problem with it. For some that sensitivity will resolve after we have had some time to heal. For others it may be permanent. I am going to suggest the Ener-g Wylde pretzels, they have no soy and taste great. Glutino has also come out with some soy-free crackers that you may want to try at some point but the Ener-g saltines have soy so be wary of those.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)