Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

did anyone who tested positive for celiac have high levels of bilirubin? does anyone know if the 2 are related in any way? thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

did anyone who tested positive for celiac have high levels of bilirubin? does anyone know if the 2 are related in any way? thanks!

Hi there, I don't know the answer to your question but for what it's worth, I am currently testing for celiac (what a frustratingly slow and unclear process!) and I also happen to have high bilirubin levels. I wonder too whether the two are connected. I hope someone responds with some insight!

Kerri

No official diagnosis... but I've been off gluten for about seven weeks and I feel dramatically better!

In July I had a routine physical and found out I have autoimmune hypothyroidism (a pretty severe case). My level of alkaline phosophatase... another liver enzyme... was about ten points out of range. I just asked about it on another thread a few days ago and I found out it's pretty common to have elevated liver enzymes at the time of diagnosis. Having a leaky gut puts a huge strain on your liver.

Gluten free 08/08

Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn

Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks

HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)

Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)

Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

Having a leaky gut puts a huge strain on your liver.

I agree. At times when I have had D or V for extended periods of time, my bilirubin levels would go waaay up. So much that my urine turned brown.

Once I got re-hydrated and my GI symptoms calmed down, the levels went back to normal each time. Scary though! Take good care of yourself and I hope you're back to normal quick!