Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLOmommy

Has Anyone Ever Had A Reaction To Tuaca Brandy?

My belly wasn't feeling too well the other night. It could have been a few different reasons but I really only want to rule out one: Tuaca brandy. Has anyone ever had a reaction to it or know if it is gluten-free?

I wrote to them but they said the ingredients come from all over and they cannot guarantee it is gluten free :(

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hm, it's flavored and perhaps colored and has a "secret recipe"...sounds like something to consider avoiding until an "all clear"

I had Tuaca once before going gluten-free and all agreed it was mildly dangerous (folks seemed to drink more than they thought...)

I didn't realize it was from Italy, don't know if any of the celiac organizations there would have a view?

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

The product is Tuaca Italian Liqueur. Not Tuaca brandy. Yes it contains brandy. Or, as the label say's:

"a premium golden amber liqueur redolent of fine aged brandy and elegantly focused Tuscan fruit essences. Artfully blended with hints of vanilla and orange flavors, Tuaca is distinctively smooth and immediately appealing."

I heartily agree. It's very smooth and tasty, with sweet vanilla and citrus flavors. I have never had a reaction to it.

best regards, lm

p.s.,

redolent

1. having a pleasant odor; fragrant.

2. odorous or smelling (usually fol. by of): redolent of.

3. suggestive; reminiscent .

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

You're answer is really as you stated yourself.

Its a mix of ingredients that they source from wherever is cheapest a the time.

Someone else not reacting means nothing because one batch may contain gluten and another not and one factory might source one ingredient and another a gluten one.

Many brandy's do add coloring and this coloring can be wheat based.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)