Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've been - hopefully - gluten-free for 2 weeks along with my daughter, neither of us had any GI symptoms before diagnosis, so my question is - Will we know if we got glutened? How do I know if I am doing this right? I don't feel any different neither does my daughter, but since our tests were so bad I really don't want to get this wrong.

Celiac Dx 6/16/08 with blood work done for chronic anemia.

Endoscopy & biopsy 6/25/08 - complete villious atrophy.

Vitamin D deficency - 50,000iu Vit D weekly started 8/4/08.

Iron Deficency Anemia - IV Iron infusions weekly started 8/7/08.

Osteopenia of spine 8/12/08 calcium supplements commenced.

DD aged 11yrs Celiac Dx 7/8/08, symptom free except for being short for age.

DS aged 4yrs Allergic to corn & oats but bloods & biopsies negative for Celiac 2/2007, GERD 5/2005, Cardiac surgery for retro-esophageal right sub-clavian artery 5/5/2005.

DD aged 2 yrs Bloods negative for Celiac.

Gluten Free life started 7/15/08

My Mum tested positive for celiac disease 7/25/08

My maternal great-grandfather died from "his stomach wearing away" he was a baker.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Many silent celiacs (those without symptoms before diagnosis) find that they get all of the classic symptoms when accidentally glutened after they've been on the diet for a while. This was the case with me. I was asymptomatic when I was diagnosed....quite amazing that I was diagnosed at all, really....my GP just had a suspicion, as I had low iron and I am type one diabetic. But that was it. After I had been gluten-free for a couple of months, and my lower intestine had had time to heal, I was suddenly getting bloated, diarrhea and cramps from time to time. My body was finally reacting!

I think that this is very common.....so hopefully (I think?) once your insides get to know what it's like to be normal and well, you will react physically to gluten.

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

My experience was similar to elye's, except I developed the good-old fashioned celiac stomach symptoms within 3 weeks of starting the gluten-free diet. If I remember right, cramping was the first major symptom, but shortly thereafter I was game for all the standards. Hopefully you'll stay symptom free!

34-year old male

Diagnosed DH/Celiac: Dec 07 (intestinal and skin biopsy, positive bloodwork)

gluten-free: Dec 07

dairy-free: Jul 08