Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest joshua gregory

Lexington, Kentucky? Anyone?

Guest joshua gregory

hello out there.

i live in lexington, ky and i just wanted to see if there were any other celiac disease'ers here. i have suffered for the last 4 (maybe my whole life?) years with a wonderful variety of symptoms and have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. just looking for locals with some experience.

-joshua david gregory

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is an active support group in Lexington.

http://www.glutenfreelex.org/

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Hey Joshua,

I am not from Lexington but close. I live in Somerset about an hour south of Lexington. I am on my 2nd week of eating gluten free and finding it difficult to find many items in Somerset. I'm planning a trip to Lexington to visit the Whole Foods Market in Lexington Green.

Do you eat at restaruants much? Somerset offers very little, but I have heard of places in Lexington that offer a gluten free menu. What is your experience?

Jennifer

Jennifer

7/17/08 - Positive Celiac diagnosis with biopsy

8/1/08 - Positive Celiac results from blood work

Gluten Free since 8/1/08

8/12/09 - Celiac Test Results - "Normal"

Guest joshua gregory
Hey Joshua,

I am not from Lexington but close. I live in Somerset about an hour south of Lexington. I am on my 2nd week of eating gluten free and finding it difficult to find many items in Somerset. I'm planning a trip to Lexington to visit the Whole Foods Market in Lexington Green.

Do you eat at restaruants much? Somerset offers very little, but I have heard of places in Lexington that offer a gluten free menu. What is your experience?

Jennifer

jennifer,

i know the somerset area and can see how it would be hard to find "safe" food. here in lex the best places to go for a night out are p.f. changs at the fayette mall, carabas grill which is next door and the bonefish grill in the hamburg area. these all offer alternative menus/meals. if you like sushi try tomo in chevy chase (no soy sauce). just remember that when you eat at a restaurant there are many hands in the same dish and still a chance of a "safe" eat being contaminated. swim at your own risk. however, i still love a good asian dish. as far as the groceries go i would plan your trip for an early saturday morning and go downtown to the farmers market then off to whole foods or the good foods co-op on southland drive. lately i have been going to the krogers on leestown road, they have a great little natural foods section and its between home and work for me. well, i hope this helped. have fun on the trip.

-jdg

Hey Joshua,

Jennifer

The Lexington support group has a person with the title of "Restaurant Liason". He can be contacted through their website. I was planning a trip to Lexington a while back and e-mailed him. He was very nice and got back to me with detailed suggestions for restaurants.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Thanks a bunch!! I guess there are advantages to living in a larger city.

Jennifer

Jennifer

7/17/08 - Positive Celiac diagnosis with biopsy

8/1/08 - Positive Celiac results from blood work

Gluten Free since 8/1/08

8/12/09 - Celiac Test Results - "Normal"

I live in Lexington :) I've only been gluten free since May, though, and don't have an official celiac diagnosis, but I am gluten intolerant. I don't have much experience eating out, though, and the places you mentioned in this topic so far are the only places I know of that have gluten free menus around here.

Guest joshua gregory
I live in Lexington :) I've only been gluten free since May, though, and don't have an official celiac diagnosis, but I am gluten intolerant. I don't have much experience eating out, though, and the places you mentioned in this topic so far are the only places I know of that have gluten free menus around here.

katsby,

i really don't eat out much either anymore. sometimes the risk is too much but at least some places are trying. how do you know you are intolerant? i had to go through 7 different medical practitioners until i found the answer to my troubles. have you been doing better since may or have you had some trouble?

-jdg

hello out there.

i live in lexington, ky and i just wanted to see if there were any other celiac disease'ers here. i have suffered for the last 4 (maybe my whole life?) years with a wonderful variety of symptoms and have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. just looking for locals with some experience.

-joshua david gregory

My name is DeAnna And I also live in Lexington, Ky IO was diagnosed 1 1/2 ago and WHAT A STRUGGLE I have!!!

Have you found a dr. here in lexington?? I just recently moved back here from Oregon and have had some trouble finding medical care here:-(

DeAnna

Guest joshua gregory
My name is DeAnna And I also live in Lexington, Ky IO was diagnosed 1 1/2 ago and WHAT A STRUGGLE I have!!!

Have you found a dr. here in lexington?? I just recently moved back here from Oregon and have had some trouble finding medical care here:-(

DeAnna

deanna,

try dr. ewen at primary care associates off of harrodsburg road. she is very nice and deals with alot of celiac/intolerance cases.

-jdg