Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leadmeastray88

Question About Removing Dairy And Soy

Hi guys,

Most people here recommend elimiinating dairy and soy from your diet once you start gluten free until your stomach heals. What happens if you don't? Do you keep having the same symptoms as before?

The reason I'm asking is because I've been on the gluten-free diet for about 3 weeks now and although I've been *avoiding* dairy and soy, I haven't been eliminating it completely. On occasion I'll have a crampy stomach and was curious if it was related to that or not.

Thanks!

Kim

~Kim~ Gluten-Free since July 2008

9 inguinal hernia surgeries in 3 years (2004-2007)

Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines

July 7/08 - tTG 1 (+>4) - Diagnosed with IBS, given Rx, sent home to "relax"

Gastro refused biopsy as I had "already been though enough"

Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 2 0301

Sept/09 - New GP gave Celiac Dx based on response to diet and family history

National Celiac Disease Conference 2010 Volunteer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Lactase, the stuff that digests lactose, is produced by the tips of your villi so if you have a lot of villi damage, lactose digestion will be difficult.

Casein, the protein in dairy, and soy tend to be additional intolerances that celiacs get. Not sure of the exact workings, but I'm wondering if once some bodies starts reacting to the gluten protein, they might get mixed up and start reacting to additional proteins like casein and soy.

So there are different reasons for cutting out dairy and soy: dairy temporarily while you're healing or dairy and soy as a possibility for why you're not feeling better on a gluten-free diet. Whether or not you keep having symptoms depends on the person. I think temporarily cutting out (or at least cutting back) on dairy seems like a good idea until you *know* you'll be able to produce more lactase. That said, I did not cut out dairy. I did not have problems with it, but I probably didn't have as much intestinal damage as some. I don't think still eating dairy will prevent healing (if you're just the temporarily lactose-intolerant type), but it could still give you an upset stomach.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

just a lamen indicator, but crampy stomach tends to be dairy and sinus/respiratory tends to be soy. DH is caisen sensitive and I'm soy sensitive and poor kiddo go the soy, caisen and gluten issues.

Gluten Free since 2003

However, you can also have some random symptoms while you are healing, as your intestines rebuild themselves. You might just try to keep better track of the dairy and the soy, and see if the cramps seem related to these foods. You could keep a journal, or avoid them for a week or two and then add them bcak one at a time - to see if YOU have a problem with them. I had a problem with diary, but not soy.

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Hi guys,

Most people here recommend elimiinating dairy and soy from your diet once you start gluten free until your stomach heals. What happens if you don't? Do you keep having the same symptoms as before?

The reason I'm asking is because I've been on the gluten-free diet for about 3 weeks now and although I've been *avoiding* dairy and soy, I haven't been eliminating it completely. On occasion I'll have a crampy stomach and was curious if it was related to that or not.

Thanks!

Kim

If you do a food elimination, the most important thing to remember is not to eliminate more than one food at a time. Process of elimination......if you avoid both dairy and soy together, it will be harder to tell which one is giving you grief. I did not eliminate either and I healed just fine. If you start with just gluten-free, which you should, and you feel much better, then you may not have a problem with either one. Celiacs may have a temporary problem with dairy because lactose is broken down at the tip of the villi and until you are healed, digestion of it may be impaired. You may find you can tolerate small amounts of dairy after healing.

Soy is also a goitrogen. Soy interferes with the work of the thyroid gland. So if you are a celiac with thyroid issues, as some are (like me), soy is a good thing to eliminate for that reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitrogen

Goitrogens are substances that suppress the function of the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake which can, as a result, cause an enlargement of the thyroid, i.e. a goitre.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

just a lamen indicator, but crampy stomach tends to be dairy and sinus/respiratory tends to be soy.

wow didn't know that...

Soy is also a goitrogen. Soy interferes with the work of the thyroid gland. So if you are a celiac with thyroid issues, as some are (like me), soy is a good thing to eliminate for that reason./quote]

or that...

so, how do y'all recommend getting off the soy?

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.