Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi all

I know spices and mixed spices especially might have gluten as an anti clumping agent in them, but do herbs? My father thinks not and made some food with them in, and I'd love to know what you guys think!

Reason I ask is that I've been gluten free for a month now. My Celiac test was negative (but not REALLY negative, my doctor said!) so i'm trying the gluten free. A lot of my IBS type symptoms e.g. nausea after eating have disappeared, however the day after I ate these herbs I felt like I had a bit of a gastric flu type thing, I was very cloated and had diarrhoea. I didn't suffer from these symptoms before. I can't think what else it could be, the meal I had was mashed potatoes, parsnips, mixed vegs with vegetable oil and herbs, chicken and bacon!

BG x

Gluten, dairy and caffeine free since 22nd June 2008. Still have a caffeine withdrawal headache ;o)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, all the McCormick spices I know of are gluten-free. I kinda think of herbs as being basically spices, so I'm not entirely certain what the difference is, if any. Was the chicken pre-seasoned? Was the bacon cooked in a pan that had been used for gluten-filled foods? If the mashed potatoes had dairy in it, what kind of dairy, and what was in that? I've also read that many who are gluten intolerance can't do canola oil, so that might be another thing to consider. Is bacon pre-seasoned?

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

were those instant mashed potatoes - if yes check the box, might contain wheat.

Also, check the mixed veggie label, I am not sure on that one because I do not buy frozen veggies.

& you might be sensitive to "natural flavoring" which can be anything, including MSG...

You could also be getting cross contamination from the wooden cooking spoons, non stick pans etc in the kitchen, might need to do a kitchen clean out...

The Mccormick single ingredient spices are gluten-free, but you need to check the ingredients on the spice blends they sell. they may have gluten.

http://www.mccormick.com/ Search for gluten:

Question

Do your products contain gluten?

Answer

All of our single ingredient spices and herbs are gluten-free and 100% pure, with nothing added to them. All of our extracts, including Pure Vanilla, are also gluten-free. Some of our products do contain gluten, and this will be clearly listed in BOLD type within the ingredient statement. We do not maintain a list of gluten-free products, as our formulas change from time to time.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul