Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luvbmr

2 Year Old With A Gluten Allergy?

My 2 year old daughter was having Diarrhea (really bad) for almost a year straight. Her doctor kept changing her diet after all parasite tests came back negative. I did some research and talked to her doctor about Celiacs. He didn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If your daughter has an allergy to gluten then she will have a problem. You might not notice it but an allergy is an allergy. If she has Celiac Disease then she will probably have more than one symptom ranging from diarrhea, headaches, acid reflux, throwing up, brain fog, and on and on. So, you might not even know she is having a reaction because she is so small still. My advice is that even though she "doesn't have a reaction" she still shouldn't have wheat/gluten no matter what amount.

Even if you can't see the damage it can affect you. My son has Celiac and many food allergies including wheat. We had no clue he had the food allergies because he has never had an outward reaction (swelling, difficulty breathing, hives). When he had his first endoscopy in March the GI said he had a rash and hives on his esophagus due to the food allergies. So, you never know. Your daughters reaction could be all internal even though she seems fine.

Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.

3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.

6/08: My Celiac test is negative.

7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!

7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.

8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.