Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superbeansprout

Rice Vinegar And Sesame Oil

Hi, I"m trying to alter a recipe for a dipping sauce that calls for rice vinegar, soy sauce adn sesame oil. I know i can exchange the soy sauce for gluten free soy sauce, but I'm not sure about rice vinegar and sesame oil. anyone know of brands that are gluten free?

I was told that sushi is unsafe because of the vinegar they put on the rice to make it taste better! I haven't eaten sushi since becoming gluten-intolerant, so I don't even know if it's the same as what I'm asking about.

anyone have any clues??? help! I'm having a party tomorrow and need to go grocery shopping!

superbeansprout

Boston, MA

Celiac since February 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use plain rice vinegar all the time. The choose a rice vinegar with only rice and water. I usually use Marukan Genuine Brewed Rice Vinegar Light and Mild brand.

Sesame Oil is gluten free. You will still need to read the lable to determine if a specific brand is gluten free because of possible additional ingredients.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

The roasted sesame oil should be fine as well as the plain sesame oil, as mentioned, read the label to see if any additional ingredients are added. The previous poster coverd plain rice vinegar, most if not all brands should be gluten-free. I use Marukan Seasoned rice vinegar, it has salt and sugar added, which is what is added to plain rice vinegar to make sushi rice. traditionally that's all that should be in sushi rice but I've heard that some places add other ingredients or might use a vinegar that has other additives, so ask.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I use plain rice vinegar all the time. The choose a rice vinegar with only rice and water. I usually use Marukan Genuine Brewed Rice Vinegar Light and Mild brand.

The roasted sesame oil should be fine as well as the plain sesame oil, as mentioned, read the label to see if any additional ingredients are added. I use Marukan Seasoned rice vinegar, it has salt and sugar added, which is what is added to plain rice vinegar to make sushi rice.

There is a White Bread Recipe that I am wanting to make but it requires Rice Vinegar. From what I recall (please correct me) if using vinegar make sure it is distilled.

I was at the grocery store over the weekend looking for rice vinegar and I saw the brand mentioned above plus some others, but they said ... Rice Vinegar or Vinegar (rice and water) but they do not say distilled. How do I know they are safe?

Thank you

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

In the US (and in Canada), the only vinegar to be concerned about is malt vinegar. All vinegar except malt is distilled. If the source is wheat, it must be disclosed.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

Thanks again :)

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09