Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Live2BWell

Some Of Your Favorite Things?

Hey all! I'm a newbie to Gluten free. In a book I was reading (Gluten Free Living For Dummies) it said to take your favorite glutenated foods, and make substitutions accordingly; So .... I was wondering what are some of your favorite gluten free cereals and snacks (both naturally gluten-free & specialty)

Thanks, Everyone :)

*Jessica*

IgG + IgA + TtG -

Family History of Celiac

See 'about me' for more info

gluten-free Since: 11/02/08

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Oooh, I maybe can help here! ;)

Do you like oatmeal? Many say that oats should also be cut out of a gluten-free diet, but you could try Bob's Red Mill Oatmeal.

Or if you want a rice substiture, I've tried Rice & Shine (with a little brown sugar......yum!) and Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal (Bob's Red Mill). Both are excellent.

Cold cereals......the only thing I can vouch for would be Rice Chex - just make sure they actually say Gluten Free on the box.

I know others will have awesome suggestions for you!

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

top gluten-free snack .. . corn chips and hummus! I also like to eat pecans out of the bag.

cereal - my son really missed the cereal w used to get - a generic called oats-n-more, which is one of those flakes and nuggets cereals. We recreated it by combining gluten-free corn flakes (I cant remember the name, but they say gluten-free on the front, and my supermarket had them in the natural cereal section in a box, and my hfs has them in big bags, cheap), plus enjoy life very berry crunch granola (he has some other allergies and this was the best for him) and almonds on top. I sometimes sprinkled extra sugar on top, too.

Since we have so very many food issues, its harder for us . .. hopefully other people have other good ideas.

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Nuts and fruits are my standby. :)

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Homemade gluten-free chex mix with Rice Chex and gluten-free pretzels!

I have liked all Foods By George things that I've tried-brownies, pizza

Kinnikinnick choc. chip muffins

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

There are several things I would eat even if I didn't have to be gluten free.

1. Granola by Bakery on Main. I love the stuff, I could eat this and often do, everyday. I order it in bulk from amazon.

2. Pretzels by Ener-G, esp. the sesame ones. I like these better that regular pretzels. They are lighter and have a nice crispness to them.

3. Pamela's chocolate cake. I make cupcakes and muffins. Love them, this is how I get my chocolate fix.

4. Mary's gone crackers. I like the original and pepper flavors the best.

5 Erewhon cereal - crispy brown rice and berries.

6. Kinnikinnick chocolate covered donuts. Now I have to admit I would probably go for the real thing here, if I could. But since i can't, I find these to be very good.

7. Food tek microwave chocolate cake and brownies. Ready in 1 minute and only have to add water. They are very good and so convenient. I keep these at home and work, and carry them with me when I travel.

My husband and son regularly eat up the above items, even though they have gluten alternatives available.

Positive Bloodwork January 2007

Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007

Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

We have definitately gone through some trial and error around here in the last year and a half. Here's our favorites:

Bell & Evans or Wellshire kids chicken nuggets

Ora-Ida french fries (they have gluten-free list online)

Tinkyada pasta

Dr. Schar crackers

Nut Thins

Glutino pretzels and crackers

Walmart Cheetos (they say gluten free)

jello/pudding, many brands

many kinds of popcorn

cheese

Yoplait or Cascade Fresh yogurt

Kettle brand tortilla chips

Lays Stax original flavor chips

Whole Foods brand "Cocoa Puffs" (not on gluten-free list; made in shared facility)

Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread

Namaste mixes

Pamela's chocolate cake mix and pancake mix

Kinnikinnick donuts

Life Stream (?) Buckwheat berry waffles

pure maple syrup

Trader Joe's gluten-free frozen pancakes and banana waffles

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Glutino Pretzels - love, love, love these ! ( I think they're better than "real" pretzels)

Mary's Gone Crackers

Nut Thins

Almonds

Tostitos (we like the "bite sized gold") with salsa

Dora's Cinnamon Stars cereal (General Mills) --- YUMMY!

Bakery on Main Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownie Mix

Namaste Spice Cake Mix

Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset

Symptoms for 4+ years prior

Immediate family tests negative

No Known family members w/ celiac disease

Glutino Pretzels - love, love, love these ! ( I think they're better than "real" pretzels)

Mary's Gone Crackers

Nut Thins

Almonds

Tostitos (we like the "bite sized gold") with salsa

Dora's Cinnamon Stars cereal (General Mills) --- YUMMY!

Bakery on Main Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownie Mix

Namaste Spice Cake Mix

I have not been able to find Glutino prezels (or any Glutino products, acutally) do I have to order them?

*Jessica*

IgG + IgA + TtG -

Family History of Celiac

See 'about me' for more info

gluten-free Since: 11/02/08