Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Needing a little help here. I have just purchased Arrowhead Milles Puffed Rice cereal. The only ingredient listed is "puffed whole grain brown rice." I felt really good about this product when I purchased it but now I'm second guessing myself. The package doesn't say gluten free but I think it is. But then the "whole grain" on the side really bothers me.

Jennifer

Jennifer

7/17/08 - Positive Celiac diagnosis with biopsy

8/1/08 - Positive Celiac results from blood work

Gluten Free since 8/1/08

8/12/09 - Celiac Test Results - "Normal"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm sure someone else will chime in here............

Curiosity got the better of me so I went to their website (www.arrowheadmills.com).

They do have a bunch of gluten free items, but according to the site, they are labeled as such - and I didn't see cold breakfast cereals listed there.

So I checked out the puffed rice, and it's ingredients say exactly what you said - "Ingredients: puffed whole grain brown rice."

This probably doesn't help one bit - because I'm not sure what that really means. :blink:

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

I am not familiar with that product, but if it contained wheat, by law, it must be listed on the ingredient list or allergen statement. Whole grain rice is listed.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I would guess that it does not say gluten free because it is not made in a dedicated facility/line, or perhaps they have never tested it. Ingredient wise I would not worry about it since there is only one ingredient. :)

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

I eat it all the time.

Used to eat their Puffed Millet too.

Never a problem w/ either.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Great!!! I was going to test the stuff in the morning. Nice to know I won't have to suffer any consequences. I just knew someone around here would know!!!

Jennifer

Jennifer

7/17/08 - Positive Celiac diagnosis with biopsy

8/1/08 - Positive Celiac results from blood work

Gluten Free since 8/1/08

8/12/09 - Celiac Test Results - "Normal"