This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Not Sure What To Eat Any More!

Beth in NC

Beth in NC Contributor

I've been "gluten-free" for 2 1/2 weeks. The quotes mean I'm trying but still getting zapped occasionally. I have had chronic constipation as long as I can remember. That ended with the new diet. After a week, I realized the dairy was bothering me...D basically. Not frequent, but well...D! (only here can we talk about this stuff, right?) I didn't FEEL bad, like when I get glutened, just the GI effect. Tried using lactaid and that worked ok...but not consistently. So I decided after several days trying the Lactaid to just go with soy milk (Silk vanilla). That was yesterday. I'm trying to eat light...lots of rice, gluten-free bread, chicken. Today all I've had is Rice Chex, soy milk, a banana, rice, chicken...a little MILD salsa to flavor that...and this afternoon I have D again! I feel like I'm going to turn into a YEAST magnet!

If I need to start over, I will. I'm not expecting "normal" when I "go"...but what is normal anyway for me? Does it take weeks to have a NORMAL one? I'm afraid to each a salad, fresh fruit and veggies, simply because of the fiber! That's why I only put a little salsa on my rice. I'm using I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, but it's supposed to be gluten-free.

What do I eat tomorrow?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Live2BWell Enthusiast

I totally relate to where you are coming from, and I am only on DAY #3 :lol:

Something that I have realized for me, is that pre-planning is essential, moreso than I even realized. I mean, living glutenated is easy, because everywhere you go you can find gluten filled foods. Living without gluten I am finding is much more tricky.

Hang in there!

Beth in NC Contributor

I've got our whole menu planned out for next week...I'm not even sure I can eat some of it...the veggies and stuff.

Ursa Major Collaborator

It could be that you have switched from one bad thing to another. Eliminating dairy seems like a good move, but replacing it with soy may not be so great. Try rice milk (not Rice Dream, it has barley malt). It may or may not work, but it is worth a try.

Beth in NC Contributor
It could be that you have switched from one bad thing to another. Eliminating dairy seems like a good move, but replacing it with soy may not be so great. Try rice milk (not Rice Dream, it has barley malt). It may or may not work, but it is worth a try.

What would be the issue with soy?

Ursa Major Collaborator
What would be the issue with soy?

Unless you eat fermented soy (fermented for several years), it really isn't fit to be eaten. It is highly toxic and a lot of people (and pets) are intolerant to soy.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I agree with Ursa, except I would go a step further & say that a newly gluten-free person should not be eating Gluten Free bread. The secret to getting well faster is not to replace your gluten items with the same items gluten free but to change the way that you eat.

for breakfast i would have several fresh fruits, some bacon & eggs if you like those & maybe a white corn tortilla. I tolerate corn very well - you might not at first...

You could also for breakfast have chicken salad or a regular salad with an olive oil & apple cider vinegar dressing.

for dinner you could have a baked sweet potato, roast with rice & any veggie you like. Fruit for dessert. I also like baked apples or pears for dessert. This morning for breakfast I had fresh baked peach slices - the peach was not perfect so I baked it & it turned out a lot better than just cold. I sprinkled on some blueberries... saved my grapes for later.

snacks, dried fruit, fresh fruit, cold meat, nuts, avocado, boiled egg, carrot sticks, jicama dipped in salad dressing.

At first just cook plain meats & veggies & fruits & nuts & seafood. You might want to also make some homemade soup - just do not add potatoes & you can freeze it. Freeze in glass pyrex bowls in serving size & it is easy to grab to go...& can be microwaved in the glass bowl - take off the plastic lid & top with a glass plate or a paper towel.

then when you are all better feeling & have plenty of energy & can tell when you get glutened. Try one gluten free treat at a time. If you do okay after a week, add in something else. I do not tolerate tapicoa flour & other people do not either. If you start eating that stuff before you know if it is making you sick, it is harder & you have to start back at square one...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Beth in NC Contributor
I agree with Ursa, except I would go a step further & say that a newly gluten-free person should not be eating Gluten Free bread. The secret to getting well faster is not to replace your gluten items with the same items gluten free but to change the way that you eat.

Well, I have to admit...I'm totally confused now. I've never heard that I shouldn't be eating gluten-free bread. Can you please explain your rationale?

tom Contributor
..... I'm afraid to eat a salad, fresh fruit and veggies, simply because of the fiber!

Am I missing something?

Why avoid fiber when you're currently having D?

curlyfries Contributor
Well, I have to admit...I'm totally confused now. I've never heard that I shouldn't be eating gluten-free bread. Can you please explain your rationale?

I don't eat bread for my own reasons, but I have seen others mention that gluten-free bread is heavy on the stomach and hard to tolerate while you are healing.

Beth in NC Contributor
Am I missing something?

Why avoid fiber when you're currently having D?

Well, if it's already rushing through your system, eating say...carrots, a salad, an apple...is just gonna make it rush through faster. What's the point? How will the D ever slow down or get more normal?

Beth in NC Contributor
I don't eat bread for my own reasons, but I have seen others mention that gluten-free bread is heavy on the stomach and hard to tolerate while you are healing.

Interesting.

dksart Apprentice

You are still very new to all this. Give your gut some time to heal. Many of us have problems with milk or soy when first switching to a Gluten-free lifestyle, so avoid them for a while. Stick to basic, naturally Gluten-free foods at first. I would go with fish, veggies, rice and fruits the first week, then chicken, potatoes, and red meats. Maybe some quinona, buckwheat and corn next. In about a month or so, introduce ONE new (Gluten-free processed food)thing at a time, like bread, pasta, cereal and see how well you tolerate it. If it goes OK, add that food to your regular diet and so on. When testing milk and soy products, pay extra attention to how your body reacts and by that time you should be healed enough to get a true response.

Good luck!

Mango04 Enthusiast

Try to make your diet a little more natural while you heal. Don't be afraid of the fruits and veggies. Everyone is different, but for me that kind of food greatly helps.

I definitely agree with dksart's food suggestions. If nothing else, take out the I can't believe it's not butter and consider replacing it with a natural oil (I use olive oil for most things). Try to avoid the cereals and the bread for at least a few weeks too.

You'll go through a lot of trial and error but eventually you'll find out what works. :)

GFinDC Veteran

Hi BethNC,

You might want to try some probiotics one or twice a week. And cut down on sugary foods for a while. Keep spices to a minimum to start, don't use any you are not sure are gluten-free. I put a little pysllium (1/2 teaspoon) in my food and it helps me. I'd cut out dairy also, at least for a few months. But take a calcium pill if you do.

Beth in NC Contributor
Try to make your diet a little more natural while you heal. Don't be afraid of the fruits and veggies. Everyone is different, but for me that kind of food greatly helps.

I definitely agree with dksart's food suggestions. If nothing else, take out the I can't believe it's not butter and consider replacing it with a natural oil (I use olive oil for most things). Try to avoid the cereals and the bread for at least a few weeks too.

You'll go through a lot of trial and error but eventually you'll find out what works. :)

I'm gonna cut out the bread. I'll freeze the partial loaf I have and use it for bread crumbs or something later so I won't be throwing a couple bucks in the trash.

This morning I had grits...I usually add some butter but just did salt and pepper. A banana too.

At lunch I did a Lundburg rice cake with 1 Tbs almond butter (phew..and some SALT!). I just ate some grapes and now I'm gurgling...I hope I don't regret them.

So are Rice Chex hard to digest? I have them occasionally plain and sometimes with milk...just bought some Rice milk and Hemp milk today. Is Hemp easily digested?

I am making a beef crockpot dish for dinner though...to serve with brown rice. Hopefully my ginger was ok...no ingredients were listed on the bottle so I assume there's nothing there BUT ginger. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

I appreciate all the help. I guess it's one of those dips in the Celiac Roller Coaster ride.

Beth in NC Contributor
Hi BethNC,

You might want to try some probiotics one or twice a week. And cut down on sugary foods for a while. Keep spices to a minimum to start, don't use any you are not sure are gluten-free. I put a little pysllium (1/2 teaspoon) in my food and it helps me. I'd cut out dairy also, at least for a few months. But take a calcium pill if you do.

I'm already taking mega doses of Calcium so I'm ok there. And sweets are very limited as I'm trying to loose weight too. I'll definitely consider some probiotics. Sure can't hurt! Wish I'd thought of it before I left Whole Foods earlier today!

dksart Apprentice

I also agree with GFinDC about the pro-biotics. I buy the refrigerated kind with 4 or 5 strains from my local health food store. It has helped all of my issues with D and C almost completely disappear!

Beth in NC Contributor
At lunch I did a Lundburg rice cake with 1 Tbs almond butter (phew..and some SALT!). I just ate some grapes and now I'm gurgling...I hope I don't regret them.

I already do...ugh...from "loose" to "water." This is what I was afraid of.

dksart Apprentice

Pro-Biotics!

Beth in NC Contributor
Pro-Biotics!

I'll go get some today. I promise. Hold me to it.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Hey Beth

Cast my vote for probiotics!!! My doctor put me on the them for two months, but I'm going to see him this afternoon, and I'm going to see if I can get some more from him. If not, I'm still going to buy them. I felt sooo much better while I was taking them.

I agree with what everyone has already said! I didn't start with any gluten-free breads or subs until I stopped feeling sick when I ate. The healthier way to eat is lots of fresh fruits and veggies anyway, so that's what I stuck to. I lost a few pounds, ( an added bonus) but I also felt better much faster. Now, when my gut is in turmoil, which it is right now, I cut that stuff out and try to stick to whole foods. It's just easier for your body to process. And congrats! on the dairy, that has been the hardest for me. See my signature... everyday I wake up and my goal is to stay away from dairy. It does bad things to me, from the inside out.

Hope that helps, gotta run!!!

babysteps Contributor
I already do...ugh...from "loose" to "water." This is what I was afraid of.

I feel your pain - been there.

If 'water' continues more than a while (depending on your health, pain tolerance, etc. anything from 12-24 hrs?) call your dr. and get tested for electrolytes, I ended up on prescription potassium (just for 3 days I think) and it was a mini-miracle for my system.

You can also try a sports drink or do your own, 1/4 tsp regular salt, and 1/4tsp 'fake' salt (one with potassium in it) plus if you tolerate sugar at all 1 T honey, all in some hot water (or even better 1/3 hot, stir to dissolve, 2/3 cold so is room temperature and gentle on your system). If you are already at 'water' this may be too late, but it could help avoid 'water' in the future.

May you heal quickly!!

Lockheed Apprentice

Yup.. I'm sensitive to soy and gluten (and a bunch of other stuff). I'd say cut the soy and also give your body a little more time to heal. it's still purging a bunch of junk so who knows what the response will be.

Beth in NC Contributor
Yup.. I'm sensitive to soy and gluten (and a bunch of other stuff). I'd say cut the soy and also give your body a little more time to heal. it's still purging a bunch of junk so who knows what the response will be.

Can my GI doc test for other sensitivities so I can stop trying to figure this all out the hard way?

I haven't eaten any dinner yet because lunch wasn't with me for even an hour. And it should have been ok.

Archived