Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

samcarter

Results Ranges For Blood Tests?

Does anybody have a list of the negative/positive range for the EMA blood test?

I know the range results for IgA (>30 is a moderate/strong celiac result) and IgG (same), but what would be a negative/positive range for the EMA and the TTG tests? I'd just like to know in case my dr calls back with just a number, and no reference, as they often do.

TIA!

Negative EMA test 8/08

Gluten free 8/08

Positive response to dietary change

Dairy free 3/09

Citrus free 5/09

Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Does anybody have a list of the negative/positive range for the EMA blood test?

I know the range results for IgA (>30 is a moderate/strong celiac result) and IgG (same), but what would be a negative/positive range for the EMA and the TTG tests? I'd just like to know in case my dr calls back with just a number, and no reference, as they often do.

TIA!

Usually, the EMA test is either positive or negative, period......no numerical range. It is 100% specific to Celiac Disease so if it's positive, you definitely have celiac disease.

You must be checked for IGA deficiency also, at the same time, because if you are IGA deficient, the test will be negative, even if you have celiac disease.

As far as ranges go for tTg, it varies from lab to lab, depending on what assay they use. Make sure to tell the doctor's office to SEND you a copy of the test results....it's your test and you have a right to copies of them. That way, you can sit down and look them over when you have the time to really go over them.

If your tTg is high and the EMA is positive, then it's 99% positive for Celiac. It's totally up to you whether or not you want to have a scope done.

Usually, the EMA test is either positive or negative, period......no numerical range. It is 100% specific to Celiac Disease so if it's positive, you definitely have celiac disease.

You must be checked for IGA deficiency also, at the same time, because if you are IGA deficient, the test will be negative, even if you have celiac disease.

As far as ranges go for tTg, it varies from lab to lab, depending on what assay they use. Make sure to tell the doctor's office to SEND you a copy of the test results....it's your test and you have a right to copies of them. That way, you can sit down and look them over when you have the time to really go over them.

If your tTg is high and the EMA is positive, then it's 99% positive for Celiac. It's totally up to you whether or not you want to have a scope done.

Thank you, Gemini. I cannot remember (thank you, brain fog) what my dr is testing aside from EMA and anemia. He mentioned something else, but I can't for the life of me remember. And I will ask them to send me a copy of the results.

One more question, at the risk of being a pest...how long does it usually take to get these results? The nurse who drew my blood said they'd have them today (I went on Friday) but i don't trust her, since she was kind of scoffing at my reason for being there. I told her that I had gone gluten free for four days, felt great, and then felt horrible after reintroducing gluten to my diet. Her response was a blank stare and "Well, maybe you shouldn't eat that then!" Yeah, you think? I still want the blood test, lady.

Negative EMA test 8/08

Gluten free 8/08

Positive response to dietary change

Dairy free 3/09

Citrus free 5/09

Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

Thank you, Gemini. I cannot remember (thank you, brain fog) what my dr is testing aside from EMA and anemia. He mentioned something else, but I can't for the life of me remember. And I will ask them to send me a copy of the results.

One more question, at the risk of being a pest...how long does it usually take to get these results? The nurse who drew my blood said they'd have them today (I went on Friday) but i don't trust her, since she was kind of scoffing at my reason for being there. I told her that I had gone gluten free for four days, felt great, and then felt horrible after reintroducing gluten to my diet. Her response was a blank stare and "Well, maybe you shouldn't eat that then!" Yeah, you think? I still want the blood test, lady.

It shouldn't take very long to get a blood result back so Nurse Attitude was probably correct. The doctor should do a full Celiac panel for accurate testing but if the tTg comes back elevated and the EMA is positive, then it's pretty conclusive, along with your dietary trial. However, there are always those that test negative and still have a problem with gluten. The blood tests tend to become really accurate when a person is well established into the disease.....end stage. By then, you'll have a flaming autoimmune reaction going on and lots of inflammation. For those that are in the beginning to intermediate stages, or are IGA deficient, the blood work may be less conclusive. A total IGA count needs to be included in the panel because if you are IGA deficient, the blood work is useless because that's what they are measuring. It's not unusual to be IGA deficient.

Do not despair if your blood work is negative.....a dietary trial with noticeable results is a huge factor in diagnosing a gluten problem. Don't let the doctor tell you your fine, either. You'll only be fine when gluten is gone from your diet.

You will not believe how good you will feel when it's gone for good! Let us know how it turns out!