Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TammyK

Stool Testing Can Disprove An Allergic Reaction, Right?

If one is allergic to wheat, then if we were to test the antibodies in the stool, then the test should come back negative, right? Does vidence of antibodies indicate autoimmune response? (Enterolab testing panel)

I'm trying to determine if my dd's reaction to wheat products is an allergic reaction or autoimmune. She already was dx with an allergy to wheat through blood and skin test when her Asthma started four years ago. I understand that respiratory symptoms are an allergic response. Now, she is having seizures. Neurological symptoms. What on earth kind of a reaction is that? Autoimmune, allergy, intolerance ect... And, how are the two related? The neurology department can't help me with this.

~ TammyK ~ Learning so much from this forum! (Thank You)

11 yr. old daughter

Asthma, Allergies to wheat, dog, cat, trees, grass, pollen, dust mites, dx 2004

Onset of seizures & migraines caused by gluten, 5/08

Focusing every day to stay seizure free without meds

39 yr. old mother:

Hypothyroid dx 2004 after battling it for way too long

Adrenal Insufficiency dx 2004

Multiple Miscarriages

Infertility for 11 yrs. now

Rashy & itchy caused by wheat, oats and eggs. Gassy too.

Both of us are currently gluten-free, caseine-free, soy-free & MSG-free.

3 older siblings & 1 loving husband: eating healthier because of us :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It is possible to have a wheat allergy in addition to gluten intolerance or celiac disease. Testing positive for one does not rule out the other.

Allergic response is typically respiratory or dermal (hives). Neurological symptoms would not come from an allergy, but could well be a symptom of celiac. Celiac can cause malabsorption, and lack of certain nutrients (folic acid comes to mind) can be a factor in seizures which resemble a grand mal.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I'll second what Peter said. I'll share my sister's story, in brief. She hasn't had help or proof from the medical community. After a doctor told me I had celiac disease(without testing) and I went gluten-free, it was quite clear that I had it. After I learned more and found improved health, I encouraged my sister to get tested. She didn't have any symptoms that stood out to me, although later it became clear that she did. She was having seizures though and after years of tests and ER visits and meds, her Doc. told her there was nothing more he could do for her, except check her into the hospital, take her off the meds and wait for a seizure to happen, which she did NOT want to do. She was taking the maximum dose and it was no longer working. And the Doc. had no idea what was going on. No diagnosis. She never did get the testing for celiac disease done but did get a diagnosis of a related disorder, which helped me convince her to think about celiac disease. Anyway, she went gluten-free and could see that it made a difference so stuck with it and has been seizure free ever since. We had talked about her eventually trying to get off the meds but as far as I know, she's still taking them but AT LEAST her intestines are healing and she is absorbing them so they are working again. I think you posted in another place, I sent a prayer up for your daughter.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies