Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

munchkinette

What Is The Deal With Honey?

I'm pretty sure I read that honey had a low glycemic index and that it acted as a prebiotic. I also read (on wikipedia I think) that it contains various toxins that get trapped. So is honey good or bad? And what conditions does it help/hurt? Any links would be appreciated.

Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)

Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Toxins??? What toxins?? It is produced in a sterile environment. I guess if the beekeepers use nasty equipment to process it, toxins could get in.

Remember Wikipedia is written by lay people NOT by scientists or professionals. There is A LOT of false info on there.

I eat honey in small amounts only.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

I eat honey now and again....I do use it when I have a cough and it seem to help.

Honey is the one food that never spoils--I don't know the scientific explanation for that, but I don't worry about it being toxic.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Toxins??? What toxins?? It is produced in a sterile environment. I guess if the beekeepers use nasty equipment to process it, toxins could get in.

Remember Wikipedia is written by lay people NOT by scientists or professionals. There is A LOT of false info on there.

I eat honey in small amounts only.

Oh, I know, but I've read that on other sites besides wikipedia. It's the reason why you can't give honey to babies. I just don't remember the specifics.

Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)

Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Actually, this is probably what you read regarding the toxins and young babies--

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854

I knew that you shouldn't give honey to a baby under a year, and this is why.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Botulism... very interesting..

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

If you are super concerned then dont buy "RAW" honey. Buy the pasteurized stuff. Or only use it for cooking and in hot tea.

But the tiny amount of botulin spores in honey does not hurt adults. It is safe.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

If you are super concerned then dont buy "RAW" honey. Buy the pasteurized stuff. Or only use it for cooking and in hot tea.

But the tiny amount of botulin spores in honey does not hurt adults. It is safe.

But if you want to use it to diminish allergies you want the raw honey, bought from a local producer (local antigens).

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

We eat it to help with seasonal allergies. It seems to diminish them.

So do we. I buy local honey and give some to my son daily who has terrible allergies.