Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

driedupfish

Question About Iodized Salt

Hi all, i am currently using this brand of iodized salt Sebree.

ingredients: salt, sodium silico aluminate, sodium thiosulfate, potassium iodine.

are iodized salt gluten free? i doubt that any of the ingredients contain gluten but just want to make sure.

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I just read that iodine may be an issue for DH suffers, potentially causing flares.

So my guess would be that if you don't suffer from DH, then it's probably ok.

If you *do* suffer from DH, then I think I'd be switching! ;)

HTH

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

Sensitivity to iodine is rare, but not unknown. Some people with DH are sensitive to iodine.

Nevertheless, there is no gluten in salt, whether it is iodized or not. Salt is sodium chloride (NaCl), and iodine is added as traces of sodium iodide (NaI) or potassium iodide (KI). None of these contain gluten, or are even organic compounds.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I use sea salt, it has a superior source of iodine which is essential for our health, check out Lugol's Iodine if you are curious.

Have a great day. :)

A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

I use sea salt, it has a superior source of iodine which is essential for our health, check out Lugol's Iodine if you are curious. .....

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think sea salt has iodine of any sort added to it. It does contain naturally occurring metals/minerals in trace amounts however, and so may or may not contain elemental iodine. Elemental iodine is toxic in higher doses though.

In the water quality laboratory, we use Lugol's Solution in a test of lake water for Phytoplankton. It stains & preserves the cell bodies. It looks like the old "Monkey's Blood" mercurochrome they put on cuts when I was growing up.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

I would switch salts. The ingredients listed includes aluminum. That can add alot of problems to your health.

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/10/28/salt

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Iodine is bad for people who have autoimmune thyroid conditions. The thyroid is a magnet for iodine... it can cause further damage to an already-damaged organ.

Gluten free 08/08

Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn

Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks

HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)

Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)

Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms