Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

Crisco - Butter Flavored - Confusing Response

I am seriously so annoyed with food labelers right now. Between crisco and benefiber....

Anyway, here's the deal. I bought a tub of butter flavored crisco. Have used the plain before, no problems. At the store, I called the # on the back of the tub, and the automated voice said they would clearly list all allergens in the ingredient list. So I used it to make some cookies. And had a dairy reaction. So I emailed crisco asking them specifically whether there was any hidden dairy in this. The message the lady left on my phone was this:

We will list all top 8 allergens, dairy would be listed if we used it in the product. HOWEVER, one ingredient in this product is a DAIRY protein. The proteins are stripped out prior to production. That is why there is no dairy in the butter flavored crisco.

How does this make sense? I'm really confused. Either there's still something "dairyish" in there, or maybe casein? I have wondered if it's casein I'm sensitive to...

OR I suppose it could be from the jello brand chocolate pudding mix. But I called them, and they told me it was DF. Although every "store brand" of the pudding I've looked at (Walmart and Western Family) has dairy in it. I've also talked w/ 2 gluten free cooks who have told me it is DF.

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):