Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Krystens mummy

Can You Have All The Same Symptoms With Gluten Intollerance

Just a quick question. I know i'm either celiac or gluten intollerant as I have been on the diet 4 weeks and am yet to get sick again everything has gone apart from a bit of constipation.

I know that you can still be celiac with negative blood and it runs in my family but....

can you have all celiac symptoms including mouth ulcers and weight loss and just be gluten intollerant? Has anyone else experienced weight loss and recurrent mouth ulcers with all of the other symptoms that make you feel really crappy but suffers from intollerance rather than full blown celiac im interested thanks.

[b]Had very interesting symptoms as a child. Failure to thrive, lactose intollerance, vomiting, recurrent bladder infections, short stature (5ft tall)

Have family on my dads side dx celiac.

grandmother and brother symptomatic! No dx as this is recent discovery.

My symptoms returned Feb 08

Negative blood tests. 04/08

No iga deficiency test.

Gluten free 15/7/08

Daughter 17 months.

symptomatic since six months

Remarkable dietary response

Lactose intollerant

Negative blood test at nine months.Gluten free at the time for 4 weeks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes you can. The celiac world is not all figured out yet. There is so much more research they need to do. There are many who feel that gluten intolerance is just the beginning stages of celiac disease, celiac being the final stage, the worst damage. There also are those who will argue this point. I honestly believe it.

Gluten does horrible things to those who are considered gluten intolerant. I have double DQ1 genes, some doctors and scientists believe you can't be celiac unless you have DQ2 or 8 genes, some do not agree with that opinion. I don't agree either, and I think the day will come when the others realize they are wrong.

It doesn't really matter to me. I have been as sick as anyone who has an official diagnosis. Double DQ1 genes means just that, double trouble. 8 yrs of gluten free and I am still trying to figure out all of my intolerance's...I think I may have finally got it all in control.

The only truth in this all: whether you are celiac or gluten intolerant, it's the same RX for everyone...gluten free for life!!!

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Celiac and gluten intolerance are pretty much the same thing just on different ends of a spectrum. Celiacs have villi damage and intolerant people don't, but could in the future. Just like darlindeb25 said, the way to solve both is to eat gluten free.

Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.

3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.

6/08: My Celiac test is negative.

7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!

7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.

8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.