Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Gum Base

Guest gillian502

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have a list that says the Charm blow pops are gluten-free. I always thought it gum base was fine but it is questionable and you have to check?

Kaiti

Positive bloodwork

Gluten-free since January 2004

Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

Blow Pops are without question gluten-free.

I just went to the safe and forbidden lists here and didn't find gum base listed anywhere. Can you tell us where you saw it? In more than three years I've NEVER seen gum base with gluten.

richard

Guest gillian502

I'm looking at it right now. The list I printed directly off Celiac.com lists "gum base" in the forbidden category. It is listed right under "ground spices" and right above "hard wheat." This list I'm looking at is the one I printed off here about a year ago, so I will look here on the site now and see if it has since been removed. I swear my eyes aren't playing tricks on me--I'm staring at it right now! lol. I'll see if it's been updated.

Guest gillian502

Well it's been removed, right between the two things I mentioned, "ground spices" and "hard wheat" there is no longer a listing for "gum base", but it's right here on my hardcopy. Funny, someone must've caught the error and taken it off. One less thing to worry about! Speaking of it, does anyone around here chew gum and if so which brands are safe?

The current list I've looked at several times (including just a minute ago) does not have gum base. Maybe it did at one time but I've nver known gum base to have gluten. It is NOT a concern for us.

richard

;) whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, glad we cleared that up--it's in everything--it's getting harder everyday anymore---they add way too much stuff to everything--geez-----deb

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

In spices sometimes wheat flour is used in spices to prevent clumping but most spices I have found to be fine. McCormick spices are gluten free. I use them all the time. :D

Kaiti

Positive bloodwork

Gluten-free since January 2004

Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

Gillian,

I am SO glad you asked this question! I have been so confused about this for the past year! My daughter was diagnosed in March of 04 and I printed up my lists then. Mine also lists Gum Base as a definate No, and so I haven't been able to figure out how gum could possibly be OK! I have heard that Wrigley's gum is gluten-free, but since it listed gum base, I was still scared to let my little girl have any. She will be so happy to chew gum again!

Just thought I would let you know you aren't the only one!

Michelle

Archived