Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

samcarter

Argh Stupid Doctor (test Results)

My husband picked up my lab results from the doctor's office. He only did ONE celiac-related test: for EMA. It was negative. He didn't do any other IgA, IgG, or Ttg tests. The jerk.

He did test a whole wad of other stuff, though, including glucose, cholesterol, and a few things which worry me (but naturally the doctor didn't mention those when he called with the results):

BUN/Creatinine level: 29 (normal range 7.0-25.0)--mine is the low side of high

Neutrophils: 78.2 (normal range 40-75)--mine is the low side of high

Lymphocytes: 16.9 (normal range 18-47)--mine is just under a low normal

I looked up the last two and an elevated neutrophil count can be a sign of acute inflammation in the body. :huh: A low lymphocyte count can be associated with malnutrition or high stress level (we have had some personal stress around the home lately).

All my CBC and red blood cell counts were normal, so no anemia.

My husband doesn't trust the results, and is going to see if our insurance will cover a trip to the allergist. Would an allergist be able to do a full celiac blood panel and a gene test as well? Problem is i don't want to go back on a gluten diet to get the celiac panel....but at the same time i want to know for sure.

Negative EMA test 8/08

Gluten free 8/08

Positive response to dietary change

Dairy free 3/09

Citrus free 5/09

Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well.... He did use the most specific test for celiac disease, however, it is subject to human error. The tests that seems to be the most highly favored right now are the total Iga along with the ttg. Igg seems to point to some sort of gluten intolerance, but not usually celiac.

I know i had extremely low cholesterol with my celiac. 96 total. 20 years later, I'm around 150. I eat a fair amount of fat. I just don't seem to absorb it all that well.

Good luck whatever you decide to to.

neesee

He didn't even do a total IgA. The lab report says "Endomysial IGA". And that was negative. No idea whether I'm IgA deficient, or anything.

My cholesterol was spiffy, though: total was 152.

Negative EMA test 8/08

Gluten free 8/08

Positive response to dietary change

Dairy free 3/09

Citrus free 5/09

Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

Call them up and ask why they didn't do the whole panel, and then calmly but assertively request that they do the rest of the tests. I'm right there with ya.........on my way out the door to the doc's office now..........good luck!

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

Call them up and ask why they didn't do the whole panel, and then calmly but assertively request that they do the rest of the tests. I'm right there with ya.........on my way out the door to the doc's office now..........good luck!

I called ahead last week to ask for the celiac panel from my doctor. The medical assistant said, "okay," on the phone and I made certain to list the five tests I wanted. She sounded as if she wrote them down but strangely didn't ask me how to spell them. I should have known at that point. How many people who are unfamiliar with these tests know how to spell them. So, I went today and there were only two tests ordered, the EMA and the ttG. Needless to say I didn't get my labs drawn today because of course the doctor was busy with patients and could not be asked about the additional labs. My baby was fussing and it was so frustrating. Medical offices seem to have little regard for other people's time. Perhaps if I charged per visit they would pay more attention.