Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest barbara3675

Used To Get Sick On Airplanes Or Car Trips

Guest barbara3675

Just got back from the most delightful trip to Mexico with family and the most wonderful thing happened. So many times when I have traveled, either by plane or car, I have become so very ill. This time when I flew, I felt like a million bucks. I think it is due directly to the fact that I don't eat gluten. There have been times when I was tired and ate some serious gluten things (before I knew I shouldn't) and became so, so sick that I couldn't even function.....had to go directly to bed because I couldn't hold my head due to the fact that I was dizzy, nauseous, it was actually like some kind of spell or something. I had to just wait it out until it passed. I think all of these episodes were gluten related. Last summer I had one of these episodes and I had just had a MAJOR sub sandwich and ice cream cone (before going gluten-free). I was so sick when I got home, that I couldn't function for the rest of the day, had to go to bed. This has happened to me many times in my life and I just never knew what triggered these episodes. My best friend, who has been with me since we were children, thinks they all were gluten related now that we are putting the pieces together. Since going gluten-free, I never get that feeling any more. It is so strange to be putting these pieces together after 59 years of life. We ate out all our meals in Mexico and I found something, sometimes plenty to eat everywhere we went. It is kind of a bite...having this gluten thing....but feeling good is so much better.

Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sounds familiar. It actually was a trip in the car, that gave me the idea, this could have anything to do with what i eat. Cause the hot chicken wings I was eating, when i came over here and the car trip afterward showed me that. And 1998, when i flew from Germany to Canada and back I had so much pain in my knees, i almost crept out of the plane. Since i'm gluten-free, i can ride in a car and on a plane. Those sick days are over...lol.

Hugs, Stef

I have been gluten-free for a year now and in the past did a lot of traveling. I am starting to feel better and am trying to tackle international trips again. I was very interested in your post. I too have had big unexplained dizzy spells a lot while I travel that take me down when others around me are fine. I could relate to your description as being under some kind of "spell." They would suddenly come in a huge wave and I found them very very scary. I never put a link to Celiac with this. The Celiac explains the tummy pains, bathroom trips, etc. but I am still new to all of this and learning. Thanks

Oh. My. Gosh. I never connected my airsickness with celiac either, which is totally idiotic of me as I learned through trial and error to eat low-carb and low acid (no OJ or tomato sauce) on all trips! Sheesh....

I'm so new to learning about this stuff. I typed in "dizzy" on the celiac.com search site and I now don't feel so alone. WOW. It effects a lot of us! I also found it interesting to look up "celiac artery" and "celia trunk" on Wikipedia, free site on the web. It shows a picture of the connection between the stomach and how it really has many arteries surrounding it. A racing heart beat, dizzy spells and stomach problems could have a lot in common. I just didn't know.