• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

colorado

Udi's Handcrafted Foods - Denver, Co

Rate this topic

For those relatively new to the Gluten Free world you may already be aware of Udi's, they are hugely popular with catering food for events, corporations, and have always made great artisan breads and treats.

Recently, through my other post on King Soopers, I learned that Udi's took their original bakery and converted it to a dedicated Gluten Free bakery. They moved their artisan bread production to Louisville, CO.

Here is a link to their article about the switch:

http://udisfood.typepad.com/udis_handcraft...lood-gates.html

Tonight I finally tracked down some in stock Udi's White Sandwich bread, I am in heaven. I have been nothing but disappointed and downright depressed at how awful most gluten free breads are.

I got it home, and I was amazed how light the entire loaf was. It weighed about the same as the other loaf of bread i had and the slices in the old loaf were half the size and I only had 3 slices left!

The Udi's bread is about 150 calories a slice, a far cry from some that are about 300 calories. It doesn't taste like, dare I say, crap. It is really like real bread. It even smells like real bread, here is a picture I took:

http://www.jaygietl.com/gallery/d/10457-2/P8070034.JPG

After finding out just how damn good this bread is, I went back to buy more, two more loaves of bread. Oh, I also bought some cinnamon rolls and blueberry muffins. The cinnamon rolls looked so good I couldn't wait, we busted into them. I was eating one as I began typing this:

http://www.jaygietl.com/gallery/d/10464-2/P8070036.JPG

http://www.jaygietl.com/gallery/d/10467-2/P8070037.JPG

I will apologize to those that are outside of Colorado, but for everyone else int he state. King Soopers is now carrying Udi's bread and stuffs. They should have a dedicated gluten free freezer now, if they don't head to the bakery area where the ice cream cakes are.

The bread was about $5.69/loaf, the cinnamon rolls and blueberry muffins are about $6 and you get 4 in a package. I will try the blueberry muffins tomorrow.

Though, not the right forum, Udi's also claims you can get the gluten free bread on many of their items at their cafe's as well.

http://www.udisfood.com/glutenfree.php

Now I just need to see if they make a pizza crust!

EDIT: I guess we can;t post pictures, hopefully those will link okay.

They just started putting these int the King Sooper's the day I left for Chile! Keep them popular so I can buy them once I get back. Dare I ask...are they super delicious products?

Follow up: I love this bread, I also frequent the Udi's Bread Bistro in Stapleton. They can make any of their sandwiches with the gluten free bread and they often have a couple loaves in stock if you swing by there. I tend to go trhough about two loaves a week! With all the old gluten-free bread I would be hard pressed to get through a loaf in a month.

One of our last visits, the day after Christmas I went to buy some bread because someone cleaned house at the King Soopers near me (all 3 of them). I got home to find that it was not their usual White Sandwich bread, but Brown Sandwich bread.

Looked and tasted like wheat bread, but of course is gluten free. Haven't seen it on the shelves at KS yet so maybe it will be there soon.

Don't you LOVE living in Colorado for this very reason?

I bring the sandwich bread back to Missouri after every break from school. Those muffins are epic as are the cinnamon rolls and the cookies... I want them to start branching outside of Colorado now or at least to ship out of the state because man do I miss that stuff!

They really need to produce pizza crusts now and my life will be complete!

Don't you LOVE living in Colorado for this very reason?

I bring the sandwich bread back to Missouri after every break from school. Those muffins are epic as are the cinnamon rolls and the cookies... I want them to start branching outside of Colorado now or at least to ship out of the state because man do I miss that stuff!

They really need to produce pizza crusts now and my life will be complete!

Are you able to swing down to Colorado Springs? Outside the Breadbox is a gluten free bakery in Old Colorado City on Colorado Avenue. They have a pizza crust to die for. They do some shipping if you want to look at their website I believe its just outsidethebreadbox.com or google it. I like their brown rice bread too and alternate it with the Udi for variety.

I spend the summer months in Monument and just discovered this product yesterday. I purchased the bread after reading some good comments on it, and it is the best bread that I have ever tasted, and I have tasted every brand that there is, and have baked quite a few recipes that were just OK. I'm close to tears this morning. This bread is light, crusty on the outside, and the inside is so, so soft . I just had 6 pieces of "real" toast this morning. It stays soft at room temperature....just make sure it is in an air tight container because of the high altitude/dry air. I'm going back to King Sooper today to buy more. Hopefully, I will be able to bring back a freezer load of this bread to Sedona in the fall.

I've ordered Annalise Roberts new bread making book, and will try to come up with something that can come close to Udi's. I doubt it, but I'll try.

Okay, what King Soopers in Colorado Springs carries these products? I have never really looked for them, but I have never come across them either. Someone help a sandwich craving gal out! (I'm trying to pretend I never saw the cinnamon rolls...)

Darkhorse....yesterday I was at Whole Foods on Academy Blvd. and they sold Udi's white sandwich bread and whole grain bread (both gluten, soy, dairy,nut free). The bread was much cheaper at Whole Foods, and was in the gluten free freezer for $4.99. King Sooper in Monument was more expensive...about $6.29. Have not checked for it at KS in Colorado Springs.

The Whole Foods out by Powers (Centerpoint, I think it is) did not sell Udi's, or at least I couldn't find it....they sold their own brand. There's also a natural food store on Academy Blvd. across from Whole Foods, and if I have time today when I go into town will see if they also sell it. I'm here for the summer and made my annual "run" to my favorite stores quite often.

Darkhorse, they are also at the King Soopers at Colorado Blvd & Yale (in an open freezer unit, on an end, near the meat), and at the Vitamin Cottage on Buchtel & Colorado Blvd (also frozen).

I love the whole grain one. Closest thing to "real" bread I've found. Good texture, flavor, weight. I'm heading back east for 10 days vacation and just mailed 2 loaves back there!

Vitamin Cottage also carries some Outside The Breadbox gluten free breads that are good, too, although "heavier" than the Udi's gluten-free. I like the OTB "Montina" bread, but mostly just now buy the Udis, but buy hot dog rolls and hamburger rolls by Outside The Breadbox.

Thank you! I was planning to stop in to Whole Foods and Vitamin cottage today anyway so that works great. I don't remember seeing Udi's products, but they do tend to lump all the non WF brand items together. I know I had to specifically search for Kinnikinnik products in the past in order to even see them. I hope the Vitamin Cottage has it, too. They tend to have a great selection of gluten-free products.

Darkhorse (and others)

Vitamin Cottage/Natural Foods at 7690 Academy sells UDI's bread in the frozen bread freezer, top right side near Aisle 10--$4.45 a loaf...also 3 kinds of Udi's muffins. They also sell 3 flavors of Kinnikinnick donuts...cinnamon, chocolate dipped, vanilla dipped.

Whole Foods on Academy across from Vitamin World has a good supply of UDI's $4.99 in the gluten free freezer.

Whole Foods on Powers/New Center Pt. does sell UDI's bread....guess I missed it the other day. $4.99 in the gluten free Bakehouse freezer near #3 register.

King Sooper Powers/Stetson sells UDI's bread in the Natural foods freezer section $5.29.

Have not tried Out of the Breadbox bread yet....it is heavier than UDI's. I love OTB ginger cookies and Italian Herb Croutons, and Cherry Pie.

All of these special foods are really hard on the budget.....fortunately I'm still able to afford them thanks to the fact that both my husband and I have a good income.

I'm hoping UDI's will be able to supply a mix to the public in the future that will be sold on the internet, for those of us who don't have access to their product.

I was able to get the Udi's white bread at Vitamin Cottage, but couldn't find it at Whole Foods. I didn't look at the WF on Powers. But I do have to say that I am in LOVE with the bread! Here is a direct quote from my non-gluten-free husband, "Holy crap it tastes like bread! You could make a sandwich with that!" :D:lol:

I'm sold!! Now I just have to check out the Out of the Bread Box stuff.

Great news for anyone in Minneapolis/St. Paul - Udi's is now available at area Byerly's, Whole Foods and Kowalski's!

I got lucky and found a loaf in the freezer section at my Byerly's and couldn't believe what I was eating - nothing else I have tried has come close. Just amazing!

I also ran across at tip at gluten free steve's blog that you can now order Udi's gluten free foods online: glutenfreesteve

The e-mail is: glutenfree@udisfood.com

I e-mailed them and they got back to me in like an hour and were very nice!

matter

I spend the summer months in Monument and just discovered this product yesterday. I purchased the bread after reading some good comments on it, and it is the best bread that I have ever tasted, and I have tasted every brand that there is, and have baked quite a few recipes that were just OK. I'm close to tears this morning. This bread is light, crusty on the outside, and the inside is so, so soft . I just had 6 pieces of "real" toast this morning. It stays soft at room temperature....just make sure it is in an air tight container because of the high altitude/dry air. I'm going back to King Sooper today to buy more. Hopefully, I will be able to bring back a freezer load of this bread to Sedona in the fall.

I've ordered Annalise Roberts new bread making book, and will try to come up with something that can come close to Udi's. I doubt it, but I'll try.

Any luck on the bread making? I just brought Udi's and my son (who's celiac's) loves it! I wanted to make buns for him. He has not had a hot dog or hamburger since being diagnosed. I did notice that tapioca starch is 2nd after water. I may start messing around, but thought I'd see if you had any luck.

I found Udi's white bread in the frozen section of Trader Joe's today. This was the first gluten-free bread I've ever tasted. I was bracing myself for nasty, but it's actually not bad! I'm not normally a plain white bread type of girl, though, so I'm hoping I can find more interesting concoctions. But this bread would totally work for a sandwich, I think. It's very light and has more air bubbles than I'm used to, but it is very soft and moist.

I found Udi's white bread in the frozen section of Trader Joe's today. This was the first gluten-free bread I've ever tasted. I was bracing myself for nasty, but it's actually not bad! I'm not normally a plain white bread type of girl, though, so I'm hoping I can find more interesting concoctions. But this bread would totally work for a sandwich, I think. It's very light and has more air bubbles than I'm used to, but it is very soft and moist.

Works great for grilled cheese and french toast!