Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 years old and I was diagnosed with celiac disease 2 months ago. I started to follow the diet strictly and I try to avoid gluten the best I can. :)

The problem is that, for some time, I will feel quite good, and then the next few days, I will feel bad again.

It's like going up, and then down again.

Is this normal? Was it the same with you guys?

I'm also still very tired, dizzy and I still have a lot of stomach issues sometimes ( and also bowel issues ).

I also eat lactose-free because that makes me feel bad too.

How long did the recovery take for you and is this normal, because it's already been 2 months that I'm gluten-free, right?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Im still with the ups and downs at 4 months.....they say it gets better....so hang in there. :)

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Jipps,

YES!!!!! "Ups and downs" (to put it mildly) are the way it goes for awhile! I am about three years gluten-free and the frustration of the first two years was INTENSE!!!!! And while I've felt the best ever for the past year, I still have an occasional glutening that I cannot trace. Just know it will pass and when you feel that way, go back to your strict "knowns" for a bit. A food diary complete with how you felt on that day is truly a gigantic help. I have faithfully kept one for 3 YEARS!!!!! It is not hard, second nature to me now, and it has always proven to be a godsend when I'm mystified as to what's bothering me. You are young and you will find that this diet and way of life becomes automatic. There's much more awareness of this disease now as well.

Hang in there, my dear, and be well!!!!!

lisa

It can take variable amounts of time to heal. But you need to make absolutely sure you are not getting any hidden gluten in your food too. Watch out for spice blends, and any packaged foods or things in boxes. Just check everything before you eat it. I know one person who was not feeling good on the gluten-free diet after several months. Turned out she was eating rice krispies every week. Rice Krispies are not gluten-free, they have caramel color with gluten in it. So you really need to be careful. Or buy whole foods and cook them yourself so you know what is in them.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

2 years?!?! Thats crazy anyone have shorter healing times?

Good idea on the diary though...I didnt know pistachios had wheat in em I felt sick for a week...

Also I was wondering is binge drinking bad for healing? casue I liek to go clubbing somtimes...

It can take variable amounts of time to heal. But you need to make absolutely sure you are not getting any hidden gluten in your food too. Watch out for spice blends, and any packaged foods or things in boxes. Just check everything before you eat it. I know one person who was not feeling good on the gluten-free diet after several months. Turned out she was eating rice krispies every week. Rice Krispies are not gluten-free, they have caramel color with gluten in it. So you really need to be careful. Or buy whole foods and cook them yourself so you know what is in them.

Can't really stress this enough.....

Healing depends on many things such as .. well how gluten-free and also general health....

Also I was wondering is binge drinking bad for healing? casue I liek to go clubbing somtimes...

I think you know the answer.... the healthier you are the faster you heal. Binge drinking certainly is not going to help.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Pandaman,

It took 2 years for me to "work all the bugs out" and figure out other intolerances. And that was with a gluten-free home, never eating out and making all my foods from scratch! Perhaps I was trying to give people some perspective; there are many on this forum who have had similar experiences. Personally, it helps me to sometimes see the long view... You may be lucky and have no more issues very soon. It also took 35 years for me to get a correct diagnosis, so if yours has taken less than that, yay!

I find if you read BACK into older forum posts, you find just how many people have struggled for quite awhile before getting things right with this disease. It's good to put things in perspective.

I can't really comment on the binge drinking. I work with teens and young adults who are in trouble and I guess I'd just say what I say to them. It's a quote from the movie American History X: "What have you done to make your life better?" It's a good question for all of us...

Feel better,

lisa

My only comment on the alcohol (besides that it's not healthy) is that many contain gluten.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

My only comment on the alcohol (besides that it's not healthy) is that many contain gluten.

Doubly so when in clubs etc. where who knows how the glasses are washed or what gets splashed about....

Not to mention our own defenses are down so its easy to accidentally pick up someones beer (done it myself) even when trying to stick to cider etc.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Good idea on the diary though...I didnt know pistachios had wheat in em I felt sick for a week...

You should feel better in a lot sooner than that if you are really strict about the diet.

You can still go clubbing without the alcohol. If you must drink then you should make sure that the doctor monitors your liver function on a regular basis. Celiac and the resultant autoimmune problems can have bad effects on the liver. In addition the liver in a person your age is not yet fully done growing. The cells are increasing at a higher rate than they do in an adult and severe damage can be done in a very short time. If you combine celiac with alcohol you risk losing your liver function. Unfortunately this is not a 'scare story' I have lived it in my family and it can happen with little warning. You can have just as much fun staying sober and watching the drunken folks make fools of themselves. Someone has to be able to tell the gang what they did at the club, right? You might as well be the one telling the embarrassing stories instead of the subject of them.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)