This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free At A Wedding

nothungry

nothungry Contributor

I have a wedding to go to in 2 months. The last wedding I went to was a gluten-free, it was my brother in laws wedding, he spoke to the kitchen extensively about gluten-free food, I wound up eating a lot of cheese cubes and fresh fruit. I didn't want to make a big stink about how the food that they tried to serve me was contaminated so I just let it go as to not upset the bride and groom. They thought that they had all of their bases covered and that the place was going to serve me a wonderful gluten-free meal/appetizers/dessert, it didn't happen but I didn't think they needed to know that. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to this upcoming wedding.

Anyway, I am not very close with the bride and groom of this wedding. I saw on the restaurant's website that the couple needs to inform the staff 45 days prior to the wedding if there are any dietary issues. I don't know what my best option is:

I can do nothing, try to talk them into making me a gluten-free (and vegetarian) meal when I get there.

I can call the place directly and tell them my needs, and that I didn't want to hassle the bride with my food issues.

I can talk to the bride before the 45 day mark.

Does anyone have any experiences that they can share with these types of events? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfmolly Contributor
I have a wedding to go to in 2 months. The last wedding I went to was a gluten-free, it was my brother in laws wedding, he spoke to the kitchen extensively about gluten-free food, I wound up eating a lot of cheese cubes and fresh fruit. I didn't want to make a big stink about how the food that they tried to serve me was contaminated so I just let it go as to not upset the bride and groom. They thought that they had all of their bases covered and that the place was going to serve me a wonderful gluten-free meal/appetizers/dessert, it didn't happen but I didn't think they needed to know that. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to this upcoming wedding.

Anyway, I am not very close with the bride and groom of this wedding. I saw on the restaurant's website that the couple needs to inform the staff 45 days prior to the wedding if there are any dietary issues. I don't know what my best option is:

I can do nothing, try to talk them into making me a gluten-free (and vegetarian) meal when I get there.

I can call the place directly and tell them my needs, and that I didn't want to hassle the bride with my food issues.

I can talk to the bride before the 45 day mark.

Does anyone have any experiences that they can share with these types of events? Thanks.

I've been dealing with multiple family weddings this summer, so I feel your pain! I would call the restaurant directly and let them know your circumstances. You can then judge if you feel safe eating at the reception. The last two weddings I went to, I talked to the chef and explained my circumstances. At one I had to change the meal that I had asked for, because I didn't know that the chicken was breaded. It worked out well, and I didn't get sick. However, I did have a back up of microwave rice in my room and a little cooler with deli meat and string cheese, just in case. I also brought my own salad dressing packets. Hope that helps!!

Molly

rick-spiff Rookie

At my brother-in-laws wedding we just brought our own dinner and cake.

He told the people who owned the wedding location that we needed axcess to the fridge, microwave/oven, etc.

Things went smoothly, but other guests got into my cake without permission!!! :angry:

Phyllis28 Apprentice

The last two weddings I went to I brought my own meal that did not need to be reheated. I brought it in a soft sided lunch box with blue ice (we came from home).

nothungry Contributor

Hmmm...I didn't really think of bringing my own food into a wedding. I mean, I always have a protein bar in my purse when I go out to an event(I usually hide somewhere and eat it). This wedding is a fairly upscale event, I guess I should call and see how much of a problem it is. I thank you all for your input!

susieg-1 Apprentice

I recently attended family wedding and ate the prime rib, salad greens and fresh cooked vegtables, also a few shrimp from the appetizer bar. No problems at all after, of course no wedding cake for me!!

nothungry Contributor
I recently attended family wedding and ate the prime rib, salad greens and fresh cooked vegtables, also a few shrimp from the appetizer bar. No problems at all after, of course no wedding cake for me!!

Did you talk to a chef or the server about it first or did you just eat it on the assumption that it was naturally Gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

munkee41182 Explorer

I am getting married in two months and I told the place that we're having our reception at that "i will be damned if I have to bring my own food to my own wedding." (a little more plesant, but that was the jist of the ocnveration). We also have 4 other guests that have celiac as well! My fiance and I are paying for the wedding, and honestly I don't want to pay for everyone else to eat, except me...and I refuse just to have a plain grilled chicken breast either.

Wow...I think stress is getting to me....I think I sound like a bridezilla!

Either way, call the place that they're having the wedding at...then inform the bride about your allergy. The reception hall can make note of it in their notes and the bride can jsut make sure that she relays the message to the reception hall when the final count is due.

Hope that helps!

nothungry Contributor

Thanks...I am going to get on the phone today!

astyanax Rookie

i was just at a wedding this weekend. i got the number of the caterer from the bride and groom and spoke with her and she was extremely nice and helpful. (bonus: my friends are so nice they surprised me with gluten-free whole foods brownies for dessert!) last summer i went to a wedding where i did not know either the bride or the groom (i was going as a date with someone). again, i just called the restaurant it was held out and no problem, they had a gluten-free meal for me. it's probably not going to be the best meal ever (and likely plain, so try to grab some butter before it gets contaminated by bread) but it certainly feels nice to get served a meal along with anyone else. i've never had trouble at any wedding i've gone to since i went gluten free now that i think of it. so go and have a great time!!

curlyfries Contributor
I always have a protein bar in my purse when I go out to an event(I usually hide somewhere and eat it).

You shouldn't feel like you need to hide to eat your protein bar.

I am getting married in two months and I told the place that we're having our reception at that "i will be damned if I have to bring my own food to my own wedding." (a little more plesant, but that was the jist of the ocnveration). We also have 4 other guests that have celiac as well! My fiance and I are paying for the wedding, and honestly I don't want to pay for everyone else to eat, except me...and I refuse just to have a plain grilled chicken breast either.

There are a lot of things that can be made gluten free or are naturally gluten free without adding any cost...................gluten free does not have to mean bland or boring. Don't bother with bread (easy for me to say, since I don't eat bread anyway :P ).......and use fruit for the sweet tooth...............now the only thing you have to worry about is the wedding cake. :D

Archived