This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

About Those Rice Chex...

Beth in NC

Beth in NC Contributor

I know everyone here is thrilled that there are Rice Chex available, but these surely aren't manufactured in a dedicated facility, are they? Are there not some people who get glutened by these?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

They are in a dedicated facility and they even follow the rice from field to factory to make sure no CC. With this said....they aint no health food. Empty carbs with some synthetic vits thrown in. IMO.

Beth in NC Contributor
They are in a dedicated facility and they even follow the rice from field to factory to make sure no CC. With this said....they aint no health food. Empty carbs with some synthetic vits thrown in. IMO.

They ain't? U R rite! They ain't! LOL!

I added Rice Chex and Pacific brand Vanilla Rice milk Friday night. My gut doesn't like one of them. Ahhh, the joys of detective work...

ShayFL Enthusiast

I know my grammar.....but sometimes it's fun to forget it!......LOL

gfp Enthusiast

Are not - > A(i)nt .... hmmm

The apostrophe is for a contraction???.... where does the I come from....

As was said "There is no I in Team America"

"Yes there is"

LOL

Beth in NC Contributor
I know my grammar.....but sometimes it's fun to forget it!......LOL

Shay! Are you an OFFICIAL member of the GRIT's club? Or are you a transplant down there in FL?

Girl

Raised

In

The

South

ShayFL Enthusiast

Shhhhhhh.......

LOL....Yup I was born in Hazelhurst GA and raised on a farm in FL. Country girl for sure. I have been "refined" a bit....he he No accent unless I talk to my relatives for more than 2 minutes....then it comes back.

I reckon there are more of us on here. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator
I know everyone here is thrilled that there are Rice Chex available, but these surely aren't manufactured in a dedicated facility, are they? Are there not some people who get glutened by these?

I think that they are cross contaminated. Both my son and I

had problems. We both seem to be sensitive to small amounts of gluten.

It's a shame. I was excited to have cereral to eat that I actually felt like eating.

I e-mailed them and they said that they are careful about cross contamination.

Getting sick is the true measure.

Stephanie

ShayFL Enthusiast

It is true that some are super sensitive, but MOST will be able to eat them. I think CC is an issue for the uber sensitive anytime they eat a processed product.

For them, only meats (grass feed and wash before cooking), eggs (free-range and not fed grains), whole fruits and veggies (that you clean and cut up yourself), milk/plain yogurt if you tolerate it and nuts in a shell (you crack yourself).

MOST do not have to be this extreme as MANY eat the new Rice Chex with no problems. Me....rice bothers me too....so I wouldnt eat them.

oceangirl Collaborator

Rice Chex bothered me- no question. I wonder about the cc. I am one of those who's highly sensitive (grr....) but just thought I'd let you know, once I took them out, all was fine again. This is after 3 years gluten-free.

Good luck; feel better,

lisa

Beth in NC Contributor

Shay, would Rice Chex be one of those things that is hard to digest initially, like everyone's been telling me about gluten-free bread?

There is definitely something about them or the Pacific rice milk. Last night I needed a small bite of something to take some medicine. I just ate a few dry. This morning's "event" was similiar to the last two days.

ShayFL Enthusiast

In general, I believe, processed foods are harder to digest. I would avoid them for now and reintroduce them later (if you really want that hollow nutrition). ;)

Try this. Boil some regular rice and pour the rice milk over it and eat it. See if this causes any reaction.

I used to love to make white rice, milk and sugar and eat it......You could add a drop or 2 of Stevia or a tsp of honey to make it yummy.

Laurad- Apprentice
Try this. Boil some regular rice and pour the rice milk over it and eat it. See if this causes any reaction.

I used to love to make white rice, milk and sugar and eat it......You could add a drop or 2 of Stevia or a tsp of honey to make it yummy.

That sounds good... do you let the rice get cold before you pour the milk on it or do you eat it hot?

p.s. I like the new Rice Chex. At first they bothered my stomach a teensy bit, but I think I got used to them because they don't bother me any more.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I would pour cold milk over the hot rice....so it ended up a warm treat. :)

Laurad- Apprentice
I would pour cold milk over the hot rice....so it ended up a warm treat. :)

Yum. I'm going to try it. :)

ShayFL Enthusiast

I would sometimes add cinnamon to it to Laura. :)

Generic Apprentice

I am super sensitive and have had no issues with rice chex.

larry mac Enthusiast

I've been eating gluten-free Rice Chex every morning for months. Probably 8-10 boxes. Have been so thrilled to have a real quality tasting cerial to eat instead of the inedible gluten-free health food crap I've paid a fortune for and always ends up getting old in my pantry.

My hope was that the major manufacturers, such as General Mills, would try something like this, see their efforts pay off, and respond by offering us more choices. They are the only ones that have the ability to produce an acceptably edible cerial product. Wouldn't it be great to be able to eat really good corn flakes, or corn pops? Of course my question is for those of us who love these cerials, not for those who don't, ie. those that consider them merely empty, unhealthy calories. For those people, please eat your fruit or whatever, and let us have our pleasures, if we can get them.

I don't know if Rice Chex are produced in a dedicated facilty or not. It's been posted here that they are. If that's true, then there is no cross contamination problem.

As for the potential cross contamination issue in any mass produced food item made on lines shared with gluten product , let's try to logically examine the issue. Let's say the production line equipement is used for a gluten product. Then, said line is cleaned and used for a gluten-free product. Assuming the equipement was not or could not be cleaned completely, wouldn't the earliest gluten-free product be the most contaminated? Followed by product that was less contaminated? In other words, not all the gluten-free product would be equally contaminated, if at all.

Come on fellow Celiacs. Lets show the big boy's we've got buying power. I implore every Celiac to get a box of gluten-free Rice Chex. If you like them, and you will, send General Mills an email thanking them. Thank you.

best regards, lm

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I eat Rice Chex all the time with out any issues. Just bought another box over the weekend. We have been using it for breakfast cereal and I made several snacks with it as well. It poses no problems for me at all.

laurelfla Enthusiast

I LOVE Rice Chex! I'm so thrilled to have a gluten-free cereal I can actually find without making a special trip to the health food store that isn't all sugary, like Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles, which I also enjoy on occasion. And, it is great for when you travel, and your relatives or friends want to know what to stock for you to eat. Plus, it gets the word out! People that bought Rice Chex before have to be thinking, what is gluten free? It tastes so much better than the other rice cereals I have tried, and let's not forget Chex Mix! I wrote the company immediately after I tried it to let them know how pleased I was that they did this. I don't have a reaction to the cereal, unfortunately just a little lactose problem...

spunky Contributor

I made chex mix... sorta, using gluten-free wlyde pretzels and rice chex and garlic plus some cayenne pepper.

That was GOOD!!!! REALLY GOOD!!!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
I made chex mix... sorta, using gluten-free wlyde pretzels and rice chex and garlic plus some cayenne pepper.

That was GOOD!!!! REALLY GOOD!!!

You should post the recipe it sounds very good :)

spunky Contributor

Well it sure was good... but there was no recipe... it's been a long time since I had that party mix chex stuff... but I just took a cast iron pan, put in a pat or two of butter... some handfuls of the little circular wylde pretzel rings and handfuls of chex and a small amount of peanuts, warmed them as the butter melted and began sprinkling with garlic powder and a little bit of cayenne powder... it was just a spur of the moment idea that I just HAD to do... and was very happy afterward!!!

Our dogs got happy about that too! I can't even remember what-all was in the chex party-mix everybody used to make... but it seemed something like it... I'm sure all sorts of variations would be possible... other gluten free dry cereals, plus or minus other nuts, etc.

I'm getting hungry for that stuff again, here, talkin' about it! :rolleyes: I guess it's time to make some more!

Generic Apprentice

Chex has a gluten free recipe site. its www dot chex dot/glutenfree of course it is an actual . instead of the word dot and no spaces.

Generic Apprentice

I just looked at the site and it doesn't list the original chex mix for gluten free. I make it all the time however. I just use all

rice chex (total of 9 cups) use gluten free pretzels and nuts and omit the bagel chips. You can add a little more pretzels

nuts and or rice chex to the mix to substitute for the omitted bagel chips.

Archived