This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Headaches

samcarter

samcarter Contributor

I was wondering how many of you get headaches after eating gluten, or have had lots of headaches before getting your diagnosis. Just wondering if it's "all in my head' as a symptom, or is related to something else.

I hate doubting myself like this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

A headache that is primarily at the base of my skull is a definate gluten symptom for me. I had them also when I was very ill before being diagnosed.

Just recently, I glutened myself daily for at least 2 months unknowingly eating a product that was make on shared lines with wheat :ph34r: and I developed a headache that was a sharp pain across the top of my head--almost sinus-like. As soon as I stopped the offending food, the pain has gone away and not returned, so I'm certain it was from the gluten.

MELINE Enthusiast

for me it is one of the main symptoms. And it is the first to appear after a good glutenining....! Don't worry. It's not in your head......Of course you have to make sure that it has to do with gluten. I mean, if you are 100% sure that you are not getting any hidden gluten, and you still have headaches, maybe you should visit your doc. But if it is gluten related, don't worry it will go away.

samcarter Contributor

Well, i glutened myself on purpose, because I still just keep doubting myself. A small bite of leftover pie last night, and a leftover piece of pizza this morning. I woke up with a small headache, thought it was a "need coffee" headache, but it didn't go away. Now the headache is solidly above my eyes and wraps around to above my ears.

Also, i'm having the hot flashes I used to have in the evenings after a meal of pizza or pasta. Ugh.

Part of me keeps glutening because I am eventually going to go see an allergist, and I don't want to test negative. Stupid, I know. I just need to start keeping a journal and writing down all my reactions to food.

mirabella Apprentice
Well, i glutened myself on purpose, because I still just keep doubting myself. A small bite of leftover pie last night, and a leftover piece of pizza this morning. I woke up with a small headache, thought it was a "need coffee" headache, but it didn't go away. Now the headache is solidly above my eyes and wraps around to above my ears.

Also, i'm having the hot flashes I used to have in the evenings after a meal of pizza or pasta. Ugh.

Part of me keeps glutening because I am eventually going to go see an allergist, and I don't want to test negative. Stupid, I know. I just need to start keeping a journal and writing down all my reactions to food.

Doesn't sound stupid to me!! Journals are good.

leadmeastray88 Contributor

Headaches are my biggest symptom. At first it was nausea, but headaches have really gotten up there. That's how I know I've been glutened. Ibuprofen can't even touch it :P

mirabella Apprentice
Headaches are my biggest symptom. At first it was nausea, but headaches have really gotten up there. That's how I know I've been glutened. Ibuprofen can't even touch it :P

I have heard we should watch how my ibuprofen we take also because this will ruin our bacteria in our stomachs. And our stomachs arent real good to begin with

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I have heard we should watch how my ibuprofen we take also because this will ruin our bacteria in our stomachs. And our stomachs arent real good to begin with

Yes I know, I only took this if I desperately needed it, and now I know it doesn't even work. I am also taking probiotics so this shouldn't be an issue. I don't and never go overboard with unnecessary medication.

samcarter Contributor

Oh yes! Used to be, back in my wild youth, that ibuprofen or Tylenol would take care of a headache, no problem. Now if i get one after eating wheat, it stays and like you said, painkillers can't touch it. :blink:

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I used to get them too but not anymore.

jerseyangel Proficient
Oh yes! Used to be, back in my wild youth, that ibuprofen or Tylenol would take care of a headache, no problem. Now if i get one after eating wheat, it stays and like you said, painkillers can't touch it. :blink:

I find this to be true too. Nothing touches the gluten headache for me :(

hawaiimama Apprentice

Oh yes, almost constant headaches for oh the last 20 years or so... And always having a horrid hangover after having a single beer. I could never figure out why I oculd have several glasses of wine and no hangover but a single beer woudl do me in with a horrid throbbing headache.

I have had one headache since going gluten-free 7 weeks ago and I'm coming down with DS"s cold. I'm finding it a really odd sensation to be tired w.o a headache. I'm just starting to see how much my head hurt.

I also always had a sore neck and right shoulder. They are gone too.

veggienft Rookie

Speaking of Ibuprofen:

Yes I know, I only took this if I desperately needed it, and now I know it doesn't even work. I am also taking probiotics so this shouldn't be an issue. I don't and never go overboard with unnecessary medication.

A couple of studies showed proper-dose ibuprofen to cause intestinal bleeding among average users.

I used to take ibuprofen regularly. Now that the celiac diet is working I buy the ibuprofen caplets, the kind your supposed to take two of, and I cut them in thirds. I take a third only when I absolutely have to ......maybe once every three or four weeks.

Just getting off the ibuprofen is great, to say nothing of the sinus headaches I was taking them for.

Speaking of Ibuprofen:

A couple of studies showed proper-dose ibuprofen to cause intestinal bleeding among average users.

I used to take ibuprofen regularly. Now that the celiac diet is working I buy the ibuprofen caplets, the kind your supposed to take two of, and I cut them in thirds. I take a third only when I absolutely have to ......maybe once every three or four weeks.

Just getting off the ibuprofen is great, to say nothing of the sinus headaches I was taking them for.

That's great info!

I hate taking ibuprofen. I try to do anything else possible to relieve a headache first, but if it doesn't work I will take it, and 2 of them, albeit. I'm glad I know that info now and I won't be so quick on it.

Thanks!

Archived