Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

strawberrygm

Help Filling Out This Form For School Regarding Celiac

Today is day 5 back to school.

So far we have been just sending her lunches.

She has permission to buy fruits, veggies, drinks, ice cream from the cafeteria.

I have this form to fill out, and I need your help on what to say. I am still new to celiac, so I dont want to leave anything out.

The following questions:

List any dietary restrictions or special diet

List any allergies or food intolerances to avoid

List foods to be substituted

List any special equipment or utensils that are needed

Indicate any other comments about the childs eating or feeding patterns

I also got a note from the cafeteria manager. She sent me the menu for the month, and said to let her know what days there wasnt anything lacee could eat and she would be happy to fix whatever she needed.

Thanks so much for your help and advice

dd age 12 -- diagnosed celiac via 2 positive bloodtests april 08 & biopsy june 08

ds age 5 -- bloodwork negative aug 2008

ds age 3 -- not tested yet

ds infant -- not tested yet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It is just SO hard because the risk of CC is SO great. It sounds like your cafeteria manager (CM) means well and wants to help, but even the best of intentions can go awry. It has happened to me too often.

A friend made pot roast for me. Called and went over my checklist and everything. She even bought a new cutting board!! Then I get there and it smells heavenly. She says she uses a "secret" ingredient. So I tell her I MUST know what it is to make sure. A bottle of BEER. BEER=GLUTEN. :(

So please be careful. It is your daughter's health (and future health) at stake.

Unless your cafeteria manager is EXTREMELY well versed on Celiac and has prepared food for one before, I personally would not risk it. I would just pack her lunch everyday. A pain? Yes. But well worth it.

Oh and not all ice creams are gluten free. Since you are allowing her to buy ice cream at school, you need to have the cafeteria manager CONFIRM with the manufacturer that their ice cream is TRULY gluten-free. And you will need to check periodically because they could switch manufacturers or the manufacturer could change ingredients. Happens ALL of the time.

Drinks must not contain BARLEY malt. CM should confirm this before your daughter is allowed to buy drinks from the cafeteria.

List any dietary restrictions or special diet - Celiac gluten free diet.

List any allergies or food intolerances to avoid ABSOLUTELY NO: Wheat, Oats, Rye or Barley or ANY derivatives.

List foods to be substituted - Gluten Free grains only. Most oats are contaminated.

List any special equipment or utensils that are needed - ALL equipment used must be clean and not have any scratches that could house hidden gluten from a previous usage. This includes counter tops, cutting boards, utensils, pot and pans, etc. There should not be ANY flour products used in or around her food at ANY time. Flour particles get everywhere!!

Indicate any other comments about the childs eating or feeding patterns- You could ask CM if your daughter could bring gluten-free meals that are frozen and have the cafeteria heat them up for her.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

i don't have kids so i don't really have anything to add except to say that Shay gives the best advise...about everything! i always look forward to what Shay has to say about any topic that is posted on this board. :D (i think i have a secret crush on you, Shay! :ph34r: )

5/23/2008 - blood positive for antibodies

6/24/2008 - negative biopsy

8/11/2008 - DQ2 gene present

7/1/2008 - gluten-free

(and dairy-light until 12/1/2008)

We tried the buying fruits and veggies thing for a little while, but it was a pain, I was already packing part of her lunch and then spending $$ on the school food. It got rediculous. I started meal planning with my dd, let her pick out what she wanted and now that she's old enough, she can start making/helping make her own lunches. She like that she can be "in charge" of something. Then she's eating what she wants, there's almost never leftovers or stuff thrown away and it's better for my pocketbook. She does buy milk every day. But I agree with Shay, too much risk for CC.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

It's great that the cafeteria manager is willing to help you and your daughter, but, like everyone has said, the risk of CC is too great. I work in a school and lunchtime is CRAZY! They mean well but accidents can happen when there are so many children in one spot all hungry and talking and spilling things and well, you get the point. I pack a lunch for my son everyday. I don't want to risk it.

I wanted to add that when I brought up "gluten free" to the cooks at school they did not know what gluten was. So, they may act like they understand and may even educate themselves a bit for your child's sake but they won't know enough to keep your child 100% gluten free like you do.

Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.

3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.

6/08: My Celiac test is negative.

7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!

7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.

8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

thats pretty much what i was thinking, that the risk of cc would be too great.

i just wanted to get everyone else's opionion and experience.

i read somewhere that someone wasnt affected by cc, only consumation. how do you know if this is the case?

i want to make sure i am providing for her what she needs.

her biological dad still doesnt get it. i told him the other day that she nearly cried for bread as she hasnt had any since dx, his reply was to let her have some every one in an while. uggh! lacee even said the other day, you know mom, dad is gonna let me eat gluten when i am there. i told her yes he may allow it but are you going to eat it? she says no. i certainly hope she does!

dd age 12 -- diagnosed celiac via 2 positive bloodtests april 08 & biopsy june 08

ds age 5 -- bloodwork negative aug 2008

ds age 3 -- not tested yet

ds infant -- not tested yet