Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scotsgirl

Depression And Coeliac

I have been coeliac for 3 weeks and have always had depression anyway. however, although i am sticking to this diet i am feeling mentally dreadful, so depressed and down and being a vegetarian also it is making finding foods even harder, i go into a shop and become sooo frustrated spending ages trying to find suitable foods when all around me is cakes and chocolate which i love.....also although i am slim i feel FAT now and scared i may put on weight, just all these things are going through my head.......keep thinking maybe i should just stick to coming off this diet as i am sure i would feel better within myself..i cannot see any benefit so far apart from the fact i am less tired...any suggestions? thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Scotsgirl--you are going through withdrawal from foods you love--all we celiacs do this--the depression will lift in time, i promise----if you love veggies then you are very lucky---just dont go to the sections where the cakes are or learn to make your own---i make wonderful chocolate chip cookies--i just use the toll house recipe and use our flours instead--i always use brown and white rice flours and i usually use equal in my cookies--my boyfriend is not celiac and he thinks my cookies are great-----keep at the gluten free and you will feel better in time----deb

Well, I can't speak for being vegetarian but, I am a new celiac disease patient and I definitely have gone thru withdrawal after going gluten-free. I didn't see any improvements in how I felt until I hit the 2-month mark and I still have a ways to go. Everything I have read here says you need to be patient as the damage in our bodies takes a long time to heal (Especially if one keeps getting "Glutened" or cheats on the diet). The only thing you can do is watch what you eat and take each day as it comes. Hopefully you will feel better somewhere down the road and be able to look back on this time and laugh/smile.

Best of Luck!

Cleveland Bob :)

Scotsgirl-I'm not a vegetarian but I do have celiac and know what you are going through. I was so frustrated at first because all the foods I loved I couldn't have and had to watch people eat it. After a while I learned brands of good gluten free food and found out there really is a lot I can still have. I started to feel better about it. I definately know where you are coming from and things will get better :D We are all here for you if you have any questions or just need support :D Good luck

Like everyone is saying - hang in there!

I felt so deprived when I first went shopping - I eat no meat and have many other food allergies as well. I used to get frustrated and just leave the store before I was through shopping.

I found that planning my shopping trip; making a small list after researching foods on the net was easier to do rather than being totally overwhelmed at the store. That way I would look for specific items (tending to ignore the ones I couldn't eat) and sometimes would look into ordering them from the store. I keep frozen veggies on hand just in case there aren't enough fresh ones to buy (I'm real picky and eat organic too). Once you find the foods you like it gets easier. If you have health food stores in the area - investigate those, they tend to carry more and are more willing to order special foods for you.

Hope this helps!

Guest gillian502

It's especially hard to stick with a difficult diet when A)You don't feel it is working and B)You know you will be on it the rest of your life. Wow is that hard. But, I have done it along with all the rest of us Celiacs, and it does get easier as everyone said. My body felt horrid for the first 4 months on this new diet, then it started feeling more normal again. I'm so happy not to be losing weight and looking sickly anymore that it makes it worth it just knowing sticking with the diet IS making me healthier even if it's a depressing diet to be on. Keep telling yourself at least you are healthier and getting better all the time, and that by eating right you are maintaining control over your disease. That always helps me.