Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lux

Alcohol...

So for as long as I could remember I have been experiencing a problem with alcohol. I drink relatively small amounts as it is, but the real issue occurs when I go out dancing after having had a few. I begin to get sharp, stabbing pains in my stomach, which eventually turn into chronic cramping - so much so that I can't move. Last week, it came to a head where the pains got so bad that I fainted.

I have Coeliac, and IBS: could it be related to either of these, or is it just symptomatic of having a generally sensitive gut?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What are you drinking?

I have problems with Absolut, it is made from wheat. I know they say all distilled alcohol is supposed to be Gluten-free, but I am very sensitive to getting a gluten reaction. I can drink rum or 100% agave tequila with no issues whatsoever!

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

greet the tides my friend

we're all nomads; forever on our way

a journey to the end.

So for as long as I could remember I have been experiencing a problem with alcohol. I drink relatively small amounts as it is, but the real issue occurs when I go out dancing after having had a few. I begin to get sharp, stabbing pains in my stomach, which eventually turn into chronic cramping - so much so that I can't move. Last week, it came to a head where the pains got so bad that I fainted.

I have Coeliac, and IBS: could it be related to either of these, or is it just symptomatic of having a generally sensitive gut?

It's most definately related to IBS. I had the worst IBS for a long time as well and had the same problem when I drank. Accupuncture and accupressure helped my IBS alot, I definately recommend trying it.

(and of course make sure what your drinking is truely gluten-free)

Accupuncture, really? I will definitely have to try it...

Usually, I drink wine (red, for the most part) but if I'm going out to dance I usually switch to Malibu and pineapple - so, rum, which I know is meant to be safe...

IBS is a pain. *sigh*

Accupuncture, really? I will definitely have to try it...

Usually, I drink wine (red, for the most part) but if I'm going out to dance I usually switch to Malibu and pineapple - so, rum, which I know is meant to be safe...

IBS is a pain. *sigh*

Yes but its gotta be a good accupuncturist who really knows what theyre doing. and believe me, i know how much of a pain it is.

I have never been able to tolerate alcohol apart from an occasional well-diluted Pimms and the very low or no alcohol cheap plonk. I never knew why. It would make me cough something awful and go straight to my bowels!

It wasn't until recently when my stomach was really bad and I took some Slippery Elm and reacted to it that the penny dropped. I did some research to try and figure out what had affected me and discovered that Slippery Elm contains tannins. As I don't cope with tea very well either, which also contains tannins I realised what was going on and that tannins are the problem.

Now I am on the SCD I hope that my digestion will heal enough eventually for me to be able to cope with them again.

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........