Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whitball

Blood Tests- Sgpt?

A few months ago I fell down the stairs at my house and ended up at the ER. While there every test imaginable was done including a SGPT (ALT) my level was 97 and it was noted as abnormal. Normal appears to be 7-56. When I looked it up the SGPT is something related to the liver? No one said anything about it, but I can't help but wonder if this is something to have checked again. How does celiac disease affect the liver?

Positive biopsy, positive blood test in 2/2006

Muscle biopsy in thigh in 2004 to confirm metabolic myopathy (found denervated nerves)

Interstitial cystitis diagnosis 2004

Hysterectomy 2003

3 for c-sections, 2 laparoscopies to remove abdominal adhesions

Abnormal heart beat when tired or glutened

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That is a liver enzyme level. I'm actually seeing a gastroenterologist tomorrow because at my last blood test, my levels were found to be slightly high.

Elevated liver enzymes are a symptom of Celiac--but usually when we go on the gluten-free diet, they come back down. One of mine was elevated shortly before my diagnosis 3 years ago, went back to normal until now. I don't know if this could have anything to do with it, but I was glutened by CC daily for about 2 months (before I figured it out) and this was during the same period that the blood was drawn.

I'm sure it's something that your primary care doctor will want to keep an eye on. The liver makes these enzymes and when it's injured in some way the enzymes can spill over into the bloodstream. Certain meds and alcohol can cause them to rise as well as many other causes. Sometimes they go up for no apparent reason.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

is 97 a high number? could my injury cause the elevated number?

Muscle biopsy in thigh in 2004 to confirm metabolic myopathy (found denervated nerves)

Hysterectomy 2003

Whitball--

I don't know how a doctor would interpret your number. Mine were only a few points above normal (within 10).

When you fell, did you injure yourself in the area of your liver (right side, just under the ribs)?

Patti

I fell head first down the stairs. i had some bruising on my right hip. Caught enough air to hit the last few steps. I did have a ct of my abdomen and I have gallstones, but they are not causing a blockage at this time.

Hysterectomy 2003

Could be the gallstones--I had to have an ultrasound because I was told that one of the most common reasons for elevated liver enzymes is gallstones/gallbladder trouble. My GP was quite sure I had gallstones, but it turns out my gallbladder is fine.

That was quite a spill you took! Hope you're feeling better.

Patti

Are your levels still elevated? Did you find out the cause of the elevation? I am recovering and back to work. I had a mild traumatic brain injury and a shattered wrist as a result of the fall. I am back to work and going through physical therapy three times a week.

Hysterectomy 2003