Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*lee-lee*

What Is The Difference Between The Dq2 And Dq8 Genes?

As my doctor told me earlier in the week, i have 1 of the 2 Celiac genes. i asked for a copy of the results to see for myself.

it's saying i have the DQ2 gene. the doctor won't diagnose me because i don't have both genes and my biopsy was negative (though the blood was positive). He's in idiot with limited knowledge of the disease and i don't currently have another doctor to talk to. i'm ok to just live gluten free but i still have so many unanswered questions.

is one gene more significant than the other? how likely is it for me to pass the gene onto my children, resulting in them having Celiac?

5/23/2008 - blood positive for antibodies

6/24/2008 - negative biopsy

8/11/2008 - DQ2 gene present

7/1/2008 - gluten-free

(and dairy-light until 12/1/2008)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The DQ2 is the most common of the celiac genes. I believe 80 or more % of celiacs have that gene. The rest are DQ8 (with a small amount having neither).

I agree. Your doctor is an IDIOT. Your doctor would look at a pink cow and say yes, she has udders and yes she is bovine, but I cannot call her a cow because she is pink.

Yes, you can pass this gene to your children. But remember, it is just a gene. It does not mean if your children get this gene from you they will develop Celiac. They may never get the disease. And if they do, you know what needs to be done. A gluten free diet. Of all the genes for diseases that can be passed on, IMO, this one is the best you could hope for.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/cel-hla.html

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

I agree. Your doctor is an IDIOT. Your doctor would look at a pink cow and say yes, she has udders and yes she is bovine, but I cannot call her a cow because she is pink.

OMG Shay - you are too funny! i love reading your posts - thank you so much. and you're right...if i had to pick a gene to pass on, this would be it!

i just made an appt with my PCP back home to review all the results and see what he thinks. i'll be losing my insurance at the end of September and would like one last follow up before i can't afford it. I'll take down a list of questions to ask him and then be sure to check with everyone here too!

either way, i really am content being gluten free for the rest of my life, if it makes me feel better. i just can't seem to let the doctors' ignorance slide...almost makes me want to become a doctor myself just to show him how to do it right, ya know?

5/23/2008 - blood positive for antibodies

6/24/2008 - negative biopsy

8/11/2008 - DQ2 gene present

7/1/2008 - gluten-free

(and dairy-light until 12/1/2008)

:D:D You just got a major lucky break by having that idiot as your doctor. To have enough proven for a Celiac diagnoses, and not have it go on your health record is perfect! Now you shouldn't be denied medical coverage or have to pay a higher premium! ;):D

Michigan

yep, I agree good to not have an official diagnosis.

You have a 50% chance of passing that DQ2 gene to each of your children.

But really you might also have a DQ1 or DQ3 & others, that are the gluten intolerance genes, that they probably did not test you for.

AND, there is a DQ1 gene than can be part of a DQ2 gene, (not that I understand it all, but there are some posts on here, or you can google it, I think it is DQ1-0501) and that might make your symtoms worse.

& I guess everyone on here knows that you only have to have one celiac gene... or for that matter like me, none & you still got problems. I am double DQ1 so I am technically not classified as celiac, just gluten intolerant. Does it make a difference when I am ready to eat lunch? NO

& positive blood tests are a celiac diagnosis, regardless of what genes you do or do not have.

My sister who is double DQ1 has a positive blood test & positive Enterolab. & one of her genes is DQ1-0501. & I have a friend that was positive via biopsy & positive via Enterolab & one of her genes are DQ1-0501.

But 4 years ago, they knew nothing about DQ1-0501. So in my opinion, the only really true test is dietary response.