Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jcnfc

Montauk

I will be travelling to Montauk and my daughter who has Celiac only eats the Kinninnick frozen bread. Our trip is 6 hours so I would like to buy it once we get there. Does anyone know where I might be able to get this or other types of breads?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You won't. Pretty much the only grocery store over there is an IGA. There are no specialty health food stores or the like. I would reccomend putting it in a cooler with ice. Where are you coming from?

I used to go to montauk every summer, and I love it there. However, I have not been since going gluten-free. Here is a thread on gluten-free restaurants there: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=48827

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

I haven't been to Montauk...I live in East Islip, which is just outside of Heckscher State Park on the Great South Bay. We have an IGA here in Bohemia, and they do carry some gluten free products,flours, cereals, and such. If there is a Stop & Shop near Montauk, they also carry gluten free products, and there seems to be Stop & Shop's everywhere here. King Kullen also has a gluten free area. I'm sure you will have no problems finding food. Even Walmart carries gluten free items.

Have a great trip...this a beautiful place to be.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

As other have said there is an IGA in town. There is also a health food store that has gluten free cereals and stuff. It's sort of off the beaten path of town. I can't remember the name but someone should be able to direct you to it.

I generally bring my muffins from The Grainless Baker for breakfast and their rye bread. I go to the IGA and get pre-packaged coldcuts and make sandwiches for myself on the bread for lunch generally.

There is a restaurant in town called, MTK. They have a bunch of options that can be gluten free. The owner is very aware of allergies, as her son has several severe allergies.

Gosman's Dock is pretty easy... you can just get lobster. And there is a Ben & Jerry's down by Gosman's for desert.

In Amagansett there is a place, Hampton Chutney that has dosas which are gluten free.

In East Hampton I generally go into Citarella and get the cold chicken with tomato & onion salad they have in the prepared food area, for lunch. (It's not a buffet, it is behind a deli counter so it's clean and safe).

Oh, and you have to stop and eat at Mama's on your way their and/or back. Best gluten free Italian food. The restaurant is in Oakdale, NY.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Hey Jillian (jkmunchkin), do you live in this area? I'm in East Islip, just a few miles west of Oakdale. My support group raves about Mama's.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!