This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Selections In The Common Market

River Faerie

River Faerie Apprentice

Hi,

I am brand new to this, and here's my second post already! I live in a teeny, tiny town called Kernville in CA. The population is less than 2,000. We do have a small market in our town, and a Vons about 12 miles away. The closest Trader Joes is down in Bakersfield, about an hour and fifteen minute trek. (Any ideas how I can get the frozen waffles home everyone is talking about?!) What would be really helpful for me is to know what regular products are ok, as of now. I have learned very quickly to check labels, but in case of emergency, what can I eat? For instance, my tummy has no problem with the rice chex. The Lay's potato chips come in handy once in a while for a snack. The hardest part I am having is coming up with some protein foods in a pinch. I feel low in energy at lunch, and all of the rice/fruits/veggies just aren't cutting it. Also, I am always hungry! What advice can you offer for the regular market?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

Here is a list of companies that have good labeling policies . . . if they have wheat, rye, barley or oats in their products, they will be called out and not hidden in a vague term such as "natural flavoring".

Open Original Shared Link

This is an excellent list to have with you so that when you are at the store and haven't researched a particular product, you can look for a Kraft (or ConAgra or Unilever, etc) product and just read the label.

Can you have dairy products?? We eat a lot of cheese and yogurt here for "quick" protein. . . also nuts (we use Planter's without any problems).

Check your good-sized grocery stores for some of the gluten free products in their health food section. I know my local Kroger's also carries the gluten-free Van's waffles. Once you have found some products you like, check Amazon to see if they are available for bulk purchase (if you find you go through them quickly). I buy my Pamela's bread mix and Pamela's baking mix through Amazon. I signed up for their subscribe and save program (it's like putting in a standing order but you can cancel at anytime) and saved an extra 15% and get free shipping no matter what the total purchase is . . . not all their products are available in that program however.

Frozen products . . . I would try bringing them home in a cooler. Actually, I find that most items that I make freeze very well. I make a double or triple batch of pancakes and put the extra (separated by wax paper) in the freezer and pull them out as needed (school days) and microwave them. I do the same with muffins.

River Faerie Apprentice

Thank you so much Janet! I feel like crying whenever I see the magic "gluten free" on the packaging! I really appreciate your help and resources! I can not tell you what it feels like to find some new friends here! I am not alone in my quest...

Archived