• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

CeliacAlli

Sleep Issues...normal?

Rate this topic

I have issues with sleep. Sometimes I can't fall asleep til' 3 am. and sometimes I go to bed at 7 pm. But even I feel like I got the same amount of sleep and that amount is far from enough. I never want to get up because my mind is so sleepy, and I am constantly exhausted from doing nothing! I am a teenager too and it's normal to sleep alot but people my age feel rested after sleeping...Suggestions...Why?...and has it happened to you?

Have you told your doctor about this? Have you done a sleep study? It seems more and more people are suffering from sleep apnea.

I didn't realize I had a "real" sleep problem. Then my neuro diagnosed me with sleep apnea, I did a sleep study, and now I know I do have it.

A few weeks ago, in another forum, my friend Al bumped an old thread up and in it they asked what had changed for us physically since going gluten free. This thread was 4 yrs ago, and I said many things had improved, but I still was having sleep problems. I do not even remember saying that, yet it's obvious that I had sleep apnea even then.

If you haven't yet, talk to your doctor about this and see what he/she says.

Alli - I can totally relate. I can sleep for 6 hours or 16 (and the 16 seems to be more and more often) and still feel like I haven't slept for a week when I wake up. It's recently come to my attention by my dear sweet husband, that sometimes when I'm sleeping - I stop breathing.

I found this out when he physically shook me awake at 4am one day last week. I'll be seeking a sleep study ASAP.

Hi Alli,

I've had sleep problems for years. I got much better though after going gluten-free and was able to sleep kind of normally. I think to some extent not sleeping can be caused by the general disruption of the body due to fighting off gluten or other food intolerances. In my case I do have a specific reaction to gluten related to sleep due to my thyroid acting up. I get glutened and I can't sleep. The thyroid goes into overdrive and that's it for any sleep. I have a reaction to either sulfites or yeast now too, although I am not sure which. Anyway, if you are sure you are gluten-free, then I suggest you think about other foods that might be affecting your sleep. It could be you have another food issue that is causing problems.

Hey there,

My dr. just told me that celiac and thyroidism are common together because of not being able to absorb nutrients.

Mine came back hyperthyroidism, which is due to not enough iodine. Falling asleep takes forever. I also get up and down several times a nite because I am starving. Thank goodness for fresh vegies and fruit.

Its exhausting sometimes.

Definitely consult your doc!

Sometimes its hard for your doctor to know what to do for Celiac, but ask if he can order bloodwork. We ALL hate bloodwork, but you sleep and/or lack of energy problems could easily be a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Anyone that has absorption issues should be on some vitamin supplements! Your doctor should be able to take a look at bloodwork of your B's C's and K to see if you are running low.

I drink more Gatorade since I have low Potassium! easy fix!

You should ask about your adrenal gland function. My sister had the problem that you described and her adrenal gland wasn't functioning correctly, which is common with Celiac, and once she started treatment, which in her case was some special supplements, her sleep started falling back into normal patterns. From what I understand the adrenal gland releases hormones that tell your body when it's time to sleep and wake up.

I don't eat after dinner now and find that I sleep better. If I eat an evening snack, I think my body is digesting all night and that keeps me from getting better sleep.

Sleep is really important and therefore sleeping issues shouldn't be taken lightly but you should definitely consult a doctor.

A good friend of mine also suffering from celiac disease had also big trouble with sleeping and basically he would wander around the house all night. At first he didn't want to get himself any help, but I could persuade him to go and see a doctor who could really help him in the end.

Fortunately I don't have sleeping problems!

I have issues with sleep. Sometimes I can't fall asleep til' 3 am. and sometimes I go to bed at 7 pm. But even I feel like I got the same amount of sleep and that amount is far from enough. I never want to get up because my mind is so sleepy, and I am constantly exhausted from doing nothing! I am a teenager too and it's normal to sleep alot but people my age feel rested after sleeping...Suggestions...Why?...and has it happened to you?

Insomnia is normal with celiac. I usually get on the internet and eat something in front of my computer. The worst thing that you can do is lay there frustrated, staring at the ceiling. Sometimes the DH that is associated with celiac will keep me awake. In extreme cases, I will get up and go to Waffle House or the grocery store. When I come back, I usually go right back to sleep. Reading in bed is a good way to confront the frustration with insomnia, and get back to sleep if you don't want your roommates to think that you are crazy for going to the grocery store at 3am.