Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wilem008

Celiac, Constipation, Doctors & Endoscopys....

I have seen two general practice doctors and a gastro enterologist about my stomach trouble....

All 3 have said that celiac is NOT a possibility for me because I dont get diahroea, I get constipation.

They keep telling me this despite the fact that I am now gluten free and have never felt better!

My gastro doctor is suggesting I get an endoscopy and a colonoscopy done.

Is it worth going through all of that or should I just stick to the diet and assume they are wrong?

Diagnosed with IBS - October 2007

Despite testing negative in bloodtests - still getting Celiac symptoms.

Gluten Free trial begins - May 2008

Positve dietary response! Woo!

Lactose free aswell - December 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Depending on how long you've been gluten free, an endoscopy and biopsy may not show flattened villi or intestinal damage. So at this point, it may be moot.

I had constipation all my life, from childhood on, until after I had my kids, and then I would alternate between diarrhea and constipation.

If you've had a positive dietary response, you probably have your answer. Unless an official diagnosis would make you feel more assertive when it comes to telling waiters, family and friends what you can and can't eat. So far I haven't had a problem, but then I haven't had to deal with my in laws yet. :huh:

Negative EMA test 8/08

Gluten free 8/08

Positive response to dietary change

Dairy free 3/09

Citrus free 5/09

Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

You have gotten some good information already.

I would suggest that you continue with your testing. It is always important to to rule out other issues. As mentioned, it is recommended not to go gluten free until all testing is done. It may effect your results in your endoscopy/biopsy.

Many peope here are self diagnosed and feel quite comfortable with that decision.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Constipation is definitely a symptom of celiac disease...

I had constipation too. My doctor said that 20% of the patients with celiac disease have constipation, so ...

You're also improving on a gluten free diet, so I would definitely let the examinations done.

You should ask for a blood test and endoscopy to confirm.

Hey Wilem,

Just another opinion. I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and have been gluten free since. I had problems with constipation before and after diagnosis.

Jennifer

Jennifer

7/17/08 - Positive Celiac diagnosis with biopsy

8/1/08 - Positive Celiac results from blood work

Gluten Free since 8/1/08

8/12/09 - Celiac Test Results - "Normal"

I have had chronic constipation ever since I can remember. I have had to take extra fiber products to even be able to go on a regular basis. After THREE DAYS gluten free...never had a problem again. Now I'm more like your run of the mill Celiac.