Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elonwy

Fried Chicken And Onion Rings

I'm not a big fried food person, but every now and then, I just want an onion ring or a piece of fried chicken. I normally do a baked version (kinda like shake and bake) but I wanted to go all out this weekend. I had some great success and wanted to share.

I used Saffola Oil, which is lower in saturated fats than vegetable oil, but still has a high flash point (the temp it'll get to before it starts to burn).

For the onion rings I used 1 cup Pamela's Pancake mix, a teaspoon of garlic powder, an egg and 3/4 cup water. They were amazing and delicious. Sweet and savory with a light fluffy crunch. I couldn't cook them as fast as they were being eaten.

I used two different coatings for the chicken, to experiment. I brined the chicken for an hour, then coated it, baked it for 20 minutes to set the coating then fried them at 6min/side.

The first coating was Kinnikinnick's Crispy Chicken Coating mix. I dipped the chicken in the mix, then in buttermilk, then back in the mix. This came out crunchy and heavenly, though I was very worried during cooking, as it instantly turned very dark in the oil. Similar taste to "original recipe" though 100 times better. Definitely the house favorite.

The second coating was tortillas crumbs, paprika and ground black pepper. Dipped chicken in buttermilk, then rolled it in the crunchies. This came out very crunchy and good, but was a very distant second to the Kinnikinnick.

There were also garlic mashes potatoes that no one paid any attention to :P

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

YOU go girl!!!! :D I bet that was yum!

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Sounds GREAT! I agree... I normally go for baked, but sometimes you just want FRIED!!!

Did you make these in a frying pan/skillet, or are you talkin' some kinda deep fryer thing like those old FRY BABIES people used to have?

I just used my large deep skillet, with a big spatter guard (essential) I found one at Bed Bath and Beyond with a folding handle, its awesome. I had the oil about an inch thick.

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I'm not a big fried food person, but every now and then, I just want an onion ring or a piece of fried chicken. I normally do a baked version (kinda like shake and bake) but I wanted to go all out this weekend. I had some great success and wanted to share.

I used Saffola Oil, which is lower in saturated fats than vegetable oil, but still has a high flash point (the temp it'll get to before it starts to burn).

For the onion rings I used 1 cup Pamela's Pancake mix, a teaspoon of garlic powder, an egg and 3/4 cup water. They were amazing and delicious. Sweet and savory with a light fluffy crunch. I couldn't cook them as fast as they were being eaten.

I used two different coatings for the chicken, to experiment. I brined the chicken for an hour, then coated it, baked it for 20 minutes to set the coating then fried them at 6min/side.

The first coating was Kinnikinnick's Crispy Chicken Coating mix. I dipped the chicken in the mix, then in buttermilk, then back in the mix. This came out crunchy and heavenly, though I was very worried during cooking, as it instantly turned very dark in the oil. Similar taste to "original recipe" though 100 times better. Definitely the house favorite.

The second coating was tortillas crumbs, paprika and ground black pepper. Dipped chicken in buttermilk, then rolled it in the crunchies. This came out very crunchy and good, but was a very distant second to the Kinnikinnick.

I wish I was at your house that night!!!!mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Elonwy,

Can you detail how you did the onion rings? Did you soak them in buttermilk? Then the dry mixture? Then egg? or was it all mixed together?

thanks

Bronco

I just made the batter by mixing the dry stuff together then adding the egg and water, then dunked the onions in it, then straight into the oil. They did better the less they sat in the batter.

Never felt better.

Oh my gawd that sounds delish! My family thanks you for the inspiration.

Hey, I just realized that your sig quote is Mal from Firefly. Awesome show. Why is it that smart entertainment never makes it much past the first season?

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

greet the tides my friend

we're all nomads; forever on our way

a journey to the end.

Hehe, I hope they come out as nummy for you as they did for me.

My pic is me dressed as Kaylee, though zoomed in so you can't tell so much. Luckily there is the movie Serenity and the comic books and things, so it did not die completely, but yeah... Fox is dumb.

Never felt better.

Hehe, I hope they come out as nummy for you as they did for me.

My pic is me dressed as Kaylee, though zoomed in so you can't tell so much. Luckily there is the movie Serenity and the comic books and things, so it did not die completely, but yeah... Fox is dumb.

Same thing happened to Earth2. Good thing Stargate didn't get canned. Love me some Richard Dean Anderson.......

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill