Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):



Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa16

Family History

Recommended Posts

Hi all!

Well, more genetic tests have come in and my mom, who is one of 18 brothers and sisters, came back with double genes. This means that all her brothers and sisters have at least a 75% chance of carrying these genes too, maybe more (there is a 25% unknown). I know this does not mean they all have full-blown celiac, but the gluten sensitivity genes are there.

Her family is huge and widely extended (I would not necessary know one of my over 100 cousins.) Many of them are sick and didn't/ don't know why. We have diabetes, miscarriages, thyroid problems, rare pituitary gland problems, macular degeneration, arthritis, unexplained heart attacks (meaning none of the usual warning symptoms), kidney problems, fatty liver syndrome, failure to thrive... the list goes on. This is in my mother's generation, and I have first cousins who are sick. I am celiac and I think I am just the tip of the iceberg.

But in my grandfather's generation, the family history becomes blurry. We know we are Scottish in origin, and that they identified themselves as Scotch-Irish when they came over (meaning they were resettled into Ireland way back when and stayed so long the distinction got lost). We think they came over very early (1700s or mid to late 1600s) and settled in the south of the US-- around Wilmington NC and Virginia. My grandfather remembered travelling by covered wagon to Mo. when he was small. He settled in Nebraska.

My grandfather had a number of siblings who are "lost," meaning the Neb. part of the family does not know who or where they are. He always felt they were still in the South or on the East Coast.

My grandmother was a first or second generation Polish immigrant and we have almost no information about her side, other than that she came from Warsaw and her mother died very early in life, after coming over. She spoke Polish as her first language. She had a number of siblings and her family is also "lost" to us. The last names are Shimick (also spelled Siemik?) or Shahotska (various spellings). Polish names are tricky.

If you think this is a match and you are out there and you are sick, please give me a shout out and we can try to piece things together.

Thanks!

Lisa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):