This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stomach Pain Even gluten-free

Rivka

Rivka Newbie

Hi,

As I am wrapping up my first gluten-free week, I notice everytime I put food in my stomach it hurts. The bloating is significantly improved and the D is pretty well gone, but the stomach pain is a bit much! (Not that I haven't spent the past 39 years in pain!) Anyway, I wonder if my digestive tract just has to heal before it can efficiently and painlessly process any food? I had a salad for lunch today and the raw veggies seem especially painful.

Any thoughts/experience on this? Oh yes, I did buy some gluten-free pro-biotics yesterday to help with the healing too.

Thanks for your paitience with all my questions!

Rivka

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jipps Newbie

Hey Rivka,

I also had stomach pains due to my celiac disease, even after I went gluten-free.

I went back to the doctor with it and it seemed to be gastritis. It also got worse when I ate something and my stomach also hurt when the doctor put pressure on it, so.

Here's some useful information: Open Original Shared Link

I don't know if that's what you have, but it could be.

It can also still be due to your celiac though...

Hope you get better soon!

ShayFL Enthusiast

Google: PepZin GI

It helps heal the stomach lining. It is used in Japan for this and prescribed by doctors there. Non-toxic and safe.

You might want to stick with cooked/steamed veggies for a month or so. Raw veggies can be harder to digest at first. Or puree the raw veggies in a blender before eating.

dksart Apprentice

The pro-biotics will help a lot, but you do need to give your system time to heal. Try staying away from dairy, soy and gassy foods for awhile. Some people are bothered by nightshades at first as well (eggplant, tomatoes, peppers and potatoes) Stick with simple, bland foods for about a week or so, then gradually add in some raw veggies. After a couple of months do a dairy challenge, then soy at a different time.

I find a good starter diet to be...

-steamed, easily digestible veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, beets, spinach, winter squashes, tender asparagus) cooked until soft

-skinless soft, cooked or canned fruits,(bananas, avocado, apples, pears, grapes, seedless berries, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, fruit cocktail, and all melons) including juices, do not include citrus if it irritates you

-proteins in the form of [font=-->-mild oils used sparingly, and season lightly with herbs, ginger, salt, cider vinegar and rice wine vinegar

-white rice, white rice noodles and non-fibrous sweet potatoes should be the only starches for a while

-Gluten-free rice milk, or hemp milk if you can find it is also OK

After a week or two, try a small salad with soft butter lettuce...work your way back up to a raw veggie platter very slowly. Then try brown rice, brown rice pasta and Gluten-free bread. The processed gluten-free convenience foods like breads, waffles, crackers, cereals, snacks, bars etc. should also be re-introduced slowly. Introduce dried beans and cruciferous vegetables even slower, if there's something that you know caused you gas pains before, wait even longer before trying that.

I have no problems with onions or garlic, but you may.

Whenever I think I may have been glutened I turn to my favorite "belly healing" meal of white rice noodles in chicken broth with mint and ginger or steamed white rice, fish (like tilapia or other non-oily fish) and spinach or squash.

Be patient and GOOD LUCK!

Archived