Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

purple

Green Chile Q?

So how do you roast green chiles or can I do it the easy way and just open a can? Or are they the same thing? I have never bought fresh ones before. I am sure the roasted ones would taste better, be fresher and with no additives. I have all the ingredients, including canned green chiles, I want to make the gluten-free Pueblo bread from http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

It would go great with a crock pot of chili.

Thanks for any tips!

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you can find fresh (locally grown) chilies get those (otherwise they are flown in from god knows where) and no on can ever be 100% sure how they were processed or harvested or grown.

If not buy a can of organic chilies

I used to roast my peppers on the flame on my gas burner. (stove)

have fun Sweetie! :)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

So how do you roast green chiles or can I do it the easy way and just open a can? Or are they the same thing? I have never bought fresh ones before. I am sure the roasted ones would taste better, be fresher and with no additives. I have all the ingredients, including canned green chiles, I want to make the gluten-free Pueblo bread from http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

Thanks for any tips!

If you decide to buy fresh chiles here's what to do. Put them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil under the broiler until the skin is nice and black blistered, then turn and do other side. After you have blistered them, put in a plastic bag and seal shut. Keep them in the bag for at least 1 1/2 hours. Next put them in ice cold water and the skin should easily remove. My husband and I bought a 1/2 bushel last night. We had them roast them for us at the farmer's market but it took us almost an hour to peel them but so worth it!! I bet you could grill them as well to blister the skin.

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

We buy 3 to 4 bushel an year. We have them roast them for us. We dotn peel them until we use them, There is no way i could unpeel 4 pushes at one time lol. we have ran out this year and been making green chili from the can. You can also buy them in king sooper stores that are already roasted in the bag. Those are great.

I am now craving green chili lol

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Thanks for any tips!

That looks really tasty. Whole Foods usually carries several kinds of chiles. Here in the south, I usually see what I think of as green chiles called "New Mexico" or Anaheims. Poblanos would also be tasty in that recipe if you don't want much heat. Here is a link on how to roast them on a gas stove:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0051..._gas_flame.php

I think ksymonds method of putting them in a plastic bag works better. Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go make some green chile!

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Wow...great tips...thanks to all!!! ;)

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28