This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There Such Thing As A Gf Marshmallow?

2new2celiacs

2new2celiacs Newbie

Hello everyone,

I am having the worst craving for "Rice Crispy bars" and have been on the mad search for marshmallows. I just can't seem to find any that happen to be gluten-free. :( Does anyone know of such a thing or a good substitute?

Also, I was told that I should change my toothpaste due to the fact that it possibly contains gluten, can you tell me what you use (gluten-free)?

Thank you for any help you can give!!!!!

~Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I've never found a marhsmallow with gluten. Ever. With the Kraft marshmallow all you have to do is read the ingredients as they will clearly list any gluten.

In more than three years I've found exactly one toothpaste with gluten -- I think it was Sensodyne (I know it was one for people with sensitive teeth). Crest, Arm and Hammer, Colgate -- all gluten-free.

richard

Guest Leidenschaft

Hey Richard, I agree on the Marshmallow front, however I do use Sensodyne every day and don't have any problems. It may be a difference between their paste and gel however, or even Canada and US having different manufacturers?? I don't like the paste and have not used it since being gluten-free, I'm strictly a Gel type of girl! :D I did contact Sensodyne when I went gluten-free and they said that the products did not contain gluten but they could not guarantee it since they bought their ingredients from other places... vague I know, but pretty standard reply I find! :blink:

Is there another "sensitive" teeth paste that is confirmed gluten-free?

2new2celiacs Newbie

Thnks Richard!

Ok, I have to admit...The bag of marshmallows that I buy are store brand and they contain modified food starch. I just assumed that if the store brand did, they all did. :(

Geez, I remember my parents telling me as a kid..."whenever you assume things you make an *** out of you and me". lol They were right, I feel silly that I did not even bother to check the other brands.

I do use Crest, so I am ok. Thanks agaian :D

~Sarah

lovegrov Collaborator

You do need to check MFS but in most cases it's gluten-free.

I might have been wrong about the Sensodyne or perhaps I was just remembering their CYA statement.

richard

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I make rice krispy treats with Kraft marshmallows and a gluten free rice cereal. You do need to check with MFS though but Kraft does not hide anything so I use their products a lot.They taste really good...you should make your own if you have a craving for it .:D

tjack454 Newbie

What rice cereal do you use for your rice crispy treats. I noticed Kelloggs Rice Krispies has malt falovoring in it.

Tammy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I use a brand called Erewhon(manufactured by US Mills). I got it at a health food store. It says gluten free crispy brown rice whole grain cereal. It is also organic.

Open Original Shared Link

This is a link to their site with gluten free cereals they have. :D

Guest Viola

Tammy, what is your location? Nature Path's rice cereal says Gluten Free right on the box and is found in most stores in Western Canada. I believe it's made in the West of the U.S. It makes yummy bars :D

FreyaUSA Contributor

Are the Nature's Path rice crispies more like the regular rice crispies? The Erewhon were a little too different when we first tried them for my kids to accept them (though they'd probably like them now.) Just wondering before I go and buy another box of cereal (so many rejects! :( )

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

They are different when they are by themselves. I don't know if I'm used to it but when I make rice krispy treats they taste pretty normal. My relatives who are not celiac have these rice krispies too and don't even know the difference. Envirokidz has a lot of gluten free cereals that are good...haven't tried natures path but they sound like something that I might like to try.

Guest Viola

They are a little different. A little more bland. Unfotunately it seems to be the malt flavouring that makes them nice and crisp. But when they are done in the bars it does make them pretty close.

debmidge Rising Star

Just got a thought... would it help if before the gluten-free rice crispies are made into marshmallow bars, they are lightly toasted in the oven to make them more crispy for the receipe?

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hey Sarah,

I found some marshmallows on the glutenfree list for the USA. The brands are:

- Campfire marshmallows

- Fireside marshmallows - Walgreens Drugstore brand

- Jet Puffed

- Peeps

- SAFEWAY

Oh, and I just found Hain Kidz Marshmallow Crisp Bars: regular and chocolate chip are gluten-free. I don't know, if that's what you're looking for.

Hugs, Stef

Guest Viola

Hello;

EnviroKidz ... made by Nature's Path makes three Gluten free Crispy Rice Bars. They come in Chocolate, Peanut butter and Berry. Real berries in the Berry one :D They are all very yummy, I had one with lunch today ... a Peanut butter one :rolleyes: Says Gluten Free right on the box. I love those people! No guessing!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes the bars by envirokidz are good. I love the berry bars and my mom loves the peanut butter. :D very good thing to try...I didn't know natures path made that brand...I keep learning new things all the time

2new2celiacs Newbie

Hi you guy's!!!!

Thank you very much for your help, I did purchase the Kraft brand and found Barbara's brand gluten-free rice crispies.

I have not had the time to make them yet, hopefully this weekend!

Thanks Stef for the list. Always nice to have bars for on the go.

Take care all :D

~Sarah

• 4 years later...
stewy Newbie
Hello everyone,

I am having the worst craving for "Rice Crispy bars" and have been on the mad search for marshmallows. I just can't seem to find any that happen to be gluten-free. :( Does anyone know of such a thing or a good substitute?

Also, I was told that I should change my toothpaste due to the fact that it possibly contains gluten, can you tell me what you use (gluten-free)?

Thank you for any help you can give!!!!!

~Sarah

-Jusr found these marshmallows brand name is Manischewitz, they were in the Kosher for Passover section of my local supermarket. Thet are made in Israel, I haven't actually tasted them yet but plan on making gluten-free rice krispie treats for my son. They have a web site www.manischewitz.com
dizzygrinch Enthusiast

The Walmart brand is gluten free, says it right on the bag...

Juliebove Rising Star

Glenny's makes Rice Crispy like bars that are good. Both plain and chocolate. Daughter liked the plain better. Not good if you have a nut allergy though due to cross contamination. Alas, she does have a nut allergy so can't have them.

Crystalkd Contributor

Kroger brand marshmallows are gluten-free. I love the fact the kroger has good labeling!!!

• 4 weeks later...
MTgirl Newbie

I purchased a bag of Malt-O-Meal Fruity Dino-Bites as i emailed the company and they told me these are gluten-free and they make the absolute BEST rice krispie treats ever! You gotta try them!

Chrissyb Enthusiast

I make mine with Rice Chex. My famliy likes them

Gobbie Apprentice

Hmmm, GLUTEN MARSHMELLOW?

I didn't realise they have gluten in them. I thought they are pretty much gluten free!

That's why I've been thinking of indulging on them today lol.

Most sweets are gluten free.

Like Haribo jellies according to their labels are suitable for vegans and vegetarians.

Jelly beans are the same!! One of the main reasons' I've fallen in LOVE with them lately.

Plus since they come in various flavours, I get to taste all the other things I can not have lol.

Or other junk sweets like flying saucers and stuff like that are usually gluten free.

Wine gums, etc.

If you have a thing for chocolates, most dark chocs are suitable for vegans too.

Green&Black's small dark choc's vegan & vegeterian friendly + gluten free

but then the bigger one has whole milk powder in it so you still have to go through the ingredients lists.

But then Lindt big chunk 'may' contain gluten but I find them alright.

Hope this helps.

x

tarnalberry Community Regular

On the toothpaste front:

As far as I can gather from my experiences w/ Sensodyne, calling them, and what people have posted here, they *used* to use an ingredient that could contain gluten. Not a CYA statement, but rather a rotating, "where can we get this cheapest" ingredient that meant the produce really did have *trace* amounts of gluten in it from time to time. This was something like five years ago? (My memory isn't precise on this - it could have been seven for all I remember. Suffice it to say, it was a *number* of years ago.)

Since then, however, they have changed their sources and now - if I recall what someone wrote here about calling them - really do have only gluten free ingredients.

Of course, I just use Crest's sensitivity toothpaste. 'Cause I like it. :P

Archived