Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coffeeaddictfish

Not Sure If I'm Gluten Intolerant!

About a month ago, I came across a magazine article that basically discussed wheat intolerance. When reading over the article, and the symptoms, I realized that this is something i never tried. I've been exhausted for the past 2 years... always tired.. can never lose weight, have IBS, migranes, and just general feelings of being unwell. I have been seeing a holistic practitioner that has treated me for adrenal exhaustion (which i have somewhat recovered from) and possible tyroid conditions.. However, i am still exhausted and still can't lose weight.. also i always feel sick!

Anyways, I decided to go wheat free, for 2 weeks and try it. What i didn't know is that after 1.5 weeks i accidentially ate wheat (unknown to me, found out after i ate it) and had terrible stomach aches for a few days, exhasuted and just felt sick!! Stopped wheat again, had it again, and got sick for like 4 days.. stomach upset, tired, headaches. Had wheat again on friday afternoon (in soy sauce, didn't realize this).. and by saturday morning my stomach was very upset and still is today..

Anyways, I just don't know... i don't think it would show up on a blood test (which i've been reading), so i don't know what to think.

When i did go off wheat i had HORRIBLE withdrawl symptoms, like the flu for like 5 days!!!! it was AWFUL!!!

Any suggestions? advice? opinions? Anything would help! Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Go ahead and call your doc and ask for a blood test. Your levels may have been high enough to show at least a low positive. Make sure you get an actual copy of the results. You may only be one or two points into the positive range but positive is positive. Negative is never a for sure definate though, many of us are missed on both blood and biopsy. I would go ahead and get back onto the gluten-free diet again after blood is drawn unless you want to go through an endoscopy. Then you will need to keep eating gluten until that process is done. What you have done, 3 times, is a gluten challenge. You have eliminated it, felt better and then added it back in and become sick. That is also IMHO a valid form of diagnosis.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)