Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SAHM2one

Should I Test My Son If My Results Come Back Positive?

I should be getting my results back any day now and if they are negative I will be shocked since my symptoms fit so perfectly. My question is whether I should have my 2 year old son tested as well??? I don't know if he is showing signs or if he is a normal 2 year old. He can be irritable, but what 2 year old isn't, he has constipation issues but then out of the blue will have really loose stools, he also eats all the time yet is tiny in height and weight. He was a porky little thing until we started solids and then he thinned right up. All of this could just be him but it makes me wonder if I should test him just in case.

What would you do??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would get your son tested as soon as you can if your results are positive. Celiac's has is related to genetics. I am getting married later this year, and my future husband and I agreed to have our children tested as soon as possible. I wouldn't want them to suffer like I did for 22 years! When I was 2 I had the same symptoms as your son but went undiagnosed until Feb.

SAHM,

The blood tests are not as reliable as we would like and children under the age of five indicate a much higher rate of unreliability.

I can't walk in your shoes, but if he is under the average growth for his age, you might want to consider a trial gluten free diet to see if he can play catch-up.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

My whole house is going gluten free tomorrow, DH can have gluten outside the house though. I just didn't want my son to be gluten free if I should test him first.

I am hoping that going gluten free will help my son's constipation, distended belly and weight issues though

If you are going to have him tested you have to do it before you remove gluten from his diet. Once he isn't eating gluten he will not be producing antibodies (if he ever has been and is sounds like he is) so the tests will almost assuredly be negative whether he is celiac/gluten intolerant or not. Also if you have taken him off and then the doctor has you put him back on before testing, his symptoms will return with a vengeance. :(

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)